Chapter 1

ELLEEEEEE!!!!!!! my mom yelled.  I'm coming I said walking down the stairs. your grandparents are here.  I can see that I answered.  my grandparents chuckled. hey guys!!, I said as a sat down at the table. as mom got the food my grandparents asked a very important question.  What do you wanna be?. I looked down and smiled. dead by 40 my mom intervened.  ignore her I said rolling my eyes.  A travel nurse, I want to help people from around the world. my grandparents were more than proud of me. my mom gave me a look while putting down the lasagna.  I  just went back to talking to my grandparents and we talked about what they had accomplished and what they wished they had. I've always looked up to my grandparents.  my grandmothers' name is Eleanor and there's my mom Ellie and me elle.  my grandfathers' name is Phil after his father Philip. they both grew up in chile. my grandfather was an army brat. it's like he was raised in the war. his dad passed when he was 14. growing up they never had much money but they did have love. my grandparents fell in love when papa moved back to chile. he told grandma that he was gonna move and then his father had passed away that following year so he and his mom decided to stay in his hometown. my grandparents sat on the stairs of the school and decided to wait for each other and that's what they did. Then they had my mom.it's crazy to still see love that lasts that long. as an overthinker I analyze these things. it's not my best trait. they left shortly after our talk.

 I put my plate to the sink and headed to bed.  my first day of nursing school started tomorrow morning. I looked at my scrubs hanging up and smiled at them. they were my dad's he passed one year and a half ago. as I lied down I seen a letter with the name Georgia on it. who's Georgia? I thought in my head. I shrugged and opened the letter anyway.

  Hey!!! Elle, it's me Georgia from nursing camp. you probably don't remember me because at the time I was in my mom's stomach but you helped give birth to me!! she wants to catch up.. if that's okay. if you don't remember her name is kate. I've recently lost my daddy and my mom really needs a friend. respond when you can!!!

                                                                                                                 Love, Georgia

I closed my eyes and dozed off and like that it was 7 am in morning. I got in the shower, threw on my scrubs, grabbed my lunch, and headed out. I turned back around grabbed my phone and keys. my mom chuckled sipping her coffee.  I headed back out and on my way to the car, I realized I needed a pump of motivation. my motivation was remembering the quotes my dad would say and today's was '' never be upset if you couldn't save a life because at least you tried. I smiled and got in the car. I needed gas and some food so I headed to the gas station. 10 on 17 please I told the cashier. I went to look for some food and grabbed some hot Cheetos and a sweet tea. me and my dad always ate Cheetos and drank sweet tea while watching greys. I pumped the gas and drove away headed to the nursing school of Chicago. 

I finally arrived and threw my chips away I finished them all in one car ride. I walked in with my head held high and a big reassuring smile. I have waited my whole life for this. ill give them my best I said in my head. wow, this place is beautiful. like you a man intervened. I got startled and started laughing the thing is I snort when I laugh so... everyone was watching me. he just stood there waiting for me to stop. hey, I'm Ryan, I know the feeling of feeling new and left out but now I've been here for three years.  I was shocked by his confidence and smile. a girl walked up, looked me up and down, and approached Ryan. Heyyy babe. Ry- oh hey, um.. this is elle and this is Kim, elle, Kim, Kim, elle. I shook her hand while she gave me a death stare. I thought as cute as he was he'd be single. Ry- okay let's get you started. unfortunately, the boss is out. Kim butted in.  he's in japan curing people with mono it's gotten really serious there. I rolled my eyes. '' yeah I'm aware''. I went back to talking to Ryan and what I've gotten from the boss is that he's a stubborn middle-aged man with a boss complex, drinks bourbon, and loves kids but doesn't want his own which meant I liked him. 

my first day was going great so far. Kim was being a bitch but I've dealt with worse. my first task was to insert an iv into a dummy. I could do this in my sleep. Ryan took me into a practice room.  Ry- alright you have 30 seconds to get the iv in successfully. Ry- you got this, he whispered in my ear. are you ready? I nodded. Ry-okay. 1..2..3..4..5.. I looked at the vein to hurry but I couldn't concentrate. I stuck it in but realized it was wrong. Ryan continued counting. Ryan- 6..7..8..9..10. I took it out and carefully tried to spot the vein.  Ryan- 11..12..13..14..15. I stuck the iv in. Ryan- only 15 seconds to go you could deliver a baby with those last seconds, girl!!!!! I chuckled. don't test me I just might. 

Kim came in and said. ''I can do better than you'', remember that.  I paid no attention her threat was wack.   my dad taught me to be tough.   he told me all the time about his rivalry with his co-worker dave and how big of a douche dave was.   she was no threat to me.   I headed downstairs and got my bag and went into the guest room.   I plopped on the bed.   ''finally peace and quiet.'' I checked my phone and saw all the missed calls from my mother.   I called her back. hey mom! What's going on?    nothing much,  just cooking she said. oh okay. so! how was your first day?!?! um, it was fine mom.  I met this cute guy named Ryan but he has a bitchy girlfriend named Kim. she was on me today but I gave her no mind. WHERE IS SHE!!! my mom yelled. It's okay mom. I chuckled. huh, okay hun. I gotta go. okay mom bye and STAY OUT OF MY ROOM. I yelled. alright jeez, I love you. I love you too. I nodded off.