Chapter 9

It was 3 weeks before drew and rose's birthday and I and Ryan still haven't gone shopping for their birthday so we planned to do that today. The twins would be with my mom so we could shop. I and Ryan dropped them off and headed to the first store. we started getting pink and blue things and instantly I had a thought.  What if we make one blue and one pink cake instead of buying them. I told Ryan.  alright, let's do it.  we grabbed cake mix and food coloring and got in line to check out. we finally got in front and the cashier was checking out our stuff. um, do you have a gay kid and a tomboy? I was caught off guard. Ummm no and if we did it wouldn't be a problem. um yes, it would, that's disgusting. Ryan just shook his head. I walked off to the side because mom had called me. Hey, mom. heyyy can you get us milk for the twins oh and diapers. yeah, yeah sure. what's wrong? the cashier asked if I had a gay son and tomboy. whattt!!!! put me on speaker. mommmm no. do it!! hello? hi um I'm Elle's mom and you have no right to ask those types of questions, and it's really not your place to ask dumb questions, I'm sorry you don't get paid enough to support yourself but don't take it out on my daughter. now check out her stuff and shut uppp!!!. I hung up and just smiled. Ryan grabbed our stuff. we walked out. woww I can't believe she asked that. he intervened I cant believe your mom said that but then again I can I chuckled. we got in the car.  while at a stop sign I looked out the window and recognized something. it was Michael and kate next to us.  I rolled down my window and yelled. HEY, they looked over and smiled. PIERCE!!! where ya been. I've been taking care of the twins I yelled. we got stuff for their first birthday, you guys are invited. he smiled alrightttt.  let's race! Ryan said. your gonna lose shitbird. we'll see about that. as soon as the light turned green we jetted. Michael and Kate had caught up and almost beat us but we took over and won.  I grabbed the stuff out of the car and remembered that mom needed milk and diapers so I grabbed them and headed over to her house while Ryan stayed home.  I headed over to Mom's. 

(Ryan's perspective) *knock, knock*. I walked to the door. elle your back already? I chuckled. I opened the door to see a guy in a weird mask. I tried to shut the door but it wouldn't budge. I just ran into the kitchen where he followed me. I tried to quickly grab something I could defend myself with but I was too slow. He kicked me and hit me repeatedly with a hammer. I just took it while waiting for him to stop. He left and I immediately locked the door. I didn't know how long elle would be so I just went over to the couch and laid there. 

I got out of the car and went over to my mom's door. I knocked. hey mom. heyyy come in. I walked in. how are the twins? they're good. she smiled. it's been really fun taking care of them. I can't wait for their first birthday. me either mom. well here's the stuff you asked for I gotta go. wait!!! elle let's talk. okay, I said while sitting at her island. how have you and Ryan been? oh we're great we have a movie night but we actually watched a show called the vampire diaries. she shrugged in disgust. how can you watch that Gorey, bloody, killy stuff. I chuckled mom it's not that bad. so how are grams and pops? I haven't seen them in awhile. they're okay, just old.  what's your favorite memory with your dad?  um, when we first watched grey's anatomy and I didn't like the blood and body parts and he told me not to be afraid because I was gonna be the one doing it in the future. he told me all the body parts they were working on and if he did those procedures or not. I think I was 7. she smiled. yeah. what about you, mom? What's your favorite memory with dad.  Ummm oh!! it was prom and he and Dave had just got in a fight, he had a broken leg and a black eye. don't let that fool you though your dad broke both of dave's arms. he picked me up in his dad's 1967 Camaro. we got out of the car and looked at himself in the mirror and came on the porch and grabbed my hand and just smiled.  we took the picture for my parents and headed off but before we left he put the corsage on my hand and kissed me.  we drove to prom while listening to queen and when we got there people were staring at us because they thought we broken up. we just laughed and walked into the building. There were streamers and decorations but we thought it was tacky and weird. he got me some punch and took my hand to go to the dance floor. we started dancing and then out of nowhere the principal started yelling. WHAT IS JOHN CHARLOTTE PIERCE DOING HERE. John started laughing and my mouth was just opened. people started chanting john, john, john, john.  we continued to dance until john brought out the l word. I looked at him with a shocked looked and told him I loved him too. we kissed. We all gathered around to find out who was prom king and queen. Kellie announced that it was a couple who had been holding out their relationship for the longest, a couple of everyone looked up to, and then she called me and john. we look at each other and walked up while people chanted our ship name. JELLIE, JELLIE, JELLIE. we got up and accepted our crowns. Then john got on one knee and did the unimaginable while people gasped. 

he said, Ellie, we've known each other since 8th grade and I have always liked you and you knew that. I've always thought about our future together and it's a big future and I want to spend it with you, so please please take a desperate yet loving man's hand in marriage which is legal and marry me.  I just stood there speechless and said yes. he spun me around and kissed me and not too long after the wedding we had you. I smiled. wow mom that's beautiful, how did you remember all that he said? well sometimes elle you can't forget the big things.  well mom I gotta go. um, can you keep the twins till tomorrow? yes of course. I kissed them goodbye and headed out.  I drove back home and got out of the car. I looked down and noticed blood in the driveway. what is this? I wondered. I walked in quietly and called Ryan but no answer so I walked into the living room.  I saw blood on the couch and realized. I started screaming. RYANNNNN!! RYANNN BABYYY. I tried to wake him up but he didn't wake up. I grabbed a rag and put warm water on it and put it on his face. we woke up and looked at me. WHAT HAPPENED!! i- i- was jumped, I thought thought I -. his speech was slurring. omg babe, let's get you to the hospital. he tried to get up but couldn't. I grabbed his side as he winced from the pain. I looked at him sadly. we rushed over to the car, I put him in the passenger's seat. we arrived at the hospital and I grabbed Ryan. a doctor ran over to us and asked what happened. I told her what Ryan was trying to say. she got some more doctors and told me what they were gonna do. I kissed Ryan on the forehead and told him I would wait. I started tearing up and overthinking. what if he dies? who did this? why him and not me? I sat down and rubbed my fingers through my hair.  a lady who was already sitting looked at me and asked. what happened? um, my husband was jumped. hmmm, that's terrifying, my husband has stage 5 cancer we just found out.  we've only lived in Chicago for four years. we're travelers.. tourists. at least we were.   how'd you found out?   oh, we got a call that he had been sick for a while. oh, I'm sorry. no. no, it's. alright, he's old.  she grabbed my hand and smiled. he'll be fine. i smiled and just nodded. i drifted off.