Chapter 24: Dark Witch

Valen and Edward remained silent as they watched Mia. Valen suddenly felt uneasy, thinking what Mia knew about what happened four years ago.

“I was the one behind the death of the healers in Yel!” Mia said straight and without hesitation. Both Valen and Edward eyes widened, confused with their emotion, surprised by the sudden firm confession.

“Bu-but it happened four years ago, and-and you mentioned before ...t-that you were drifted ashore somewhere in Perino just more than a-a year ago?” Valen asked which made Edward remembered that part.

Mia was caught by surprise with Valen’s question, she smiled. Both Valen and Edward eyes widened once more as they felt Mia’s smile this time was honest. Mia’s reaction changed automatically, after realizing the two’s reaction, from smile to scowl.

“That’s true, but remember, I also mentioned something when we started our little story telling...that” Mia was interrupted.

“That the stories you told to Lord James were mostly lies.” Valen remembered and finished the sentence for her. Mia smiled once again.

“You remembered! I would admit I am very glad you were really listening to me even before.  But, let me tell you, that part when I was found ashore in the northern part of Perino more than a year ago is true. The rest were lies. I was already in Perino five years ago. I disguised  myself as an ordinary brown-haired lady. I did visit Cellis from time to time. I was looking for my dear, lovely half-sister Elen, who left Milen more than twenty years ago after meeting and marrying a fine-looking but ordinary healer, Arthur, your father. Daveed, our father, did not accept it. He did not want Elen to marry an average one, as if he did not do it first. Well, of course he would not accept the ordinary healer since she and her husband will be the next ruler of Milen instead of me, a worthless older sister. But, with no doubt, Elen, and also Arthur was able to persuade him, both of them being compassionate and clever. What everyone did not know was that Elen did not want to rule - she wanted a simple life and build a family.” Mia walked towards the well-crafted chair and seated.

“For the first time, I had like her, she informed me that Arthur and she will be leaving and start a family life away from Milen and that she had always wanted me to rule the land. That me having this ability was not an issue in ruling Milen. The me who was strong in facing everyone was worth to rule Milen. Hm..but thinking about it, she was actually selfish...she might just be cajoling me, and not actually thinking that I was worth it.”

“Mother is never like that! She could probably be a bit selfish for abandoning Milen, but she would never say something she doesn’t mean!” Valen said loudly, defending her mother.