Chapter 20: The Black Magic

“Alright, I know you told me you trust me, Edward and I thank you, but I also understand that you will truly not feel very at ease if I don’t explain some important things to you but I will try to tell something about it.” Valen said as she looked at Edward directly. Edward was mesmerized, this time he did not feel to look away from Valen’s eyes, this time, he wanted to look at it every single time. Valen continued what she is about to say and started walking towards the table with the flowers.

“We healers, have unique abilities, though it seemed that not all healers have some special abilities. I haven’t clarified it yet with Lady Mia, but I just thought of something, and it just might be a fact. Anyway, if not all of us have, I do have. My parents realized something about me before, medicines and ingredients do not have great effects on me, that was why I understand your concern Edward and I will admit, even medicines for illnesses do not work well for me. Though, perhaps to compensate for that, I seldom get sick...and in my entire life, so far, I only got sick twice. First was when I was six but it was not too serious. The second time was when I was fourteen,  that one was a serious illness - and my father admitted that my mother is a better healer than he is, well, she was considered the best healer in Yel, so she’s the one who took care of me. However, even my mother was not able to heal me. The disease that got me was so strong and even my mother’s medicines could not eliminate the illness. The only person who was able to heal me was.......myself.” Both Edward and Abby ‘s eye s looked puzzle and amaze. They not quite understood what she mean by it, so Valen continued.

 “So I mentioned one of my ability, which is medicines, ingredients, herbs and such do not affect me much, that was probably why my mother’s medicine was not able to heal me back then. The second one, was something my family and I realized during that time, it’s totally not a self-healing ability, but the ability to heal myself quickly if I personally prepare the medicine.  Hence, what I am telling you Edward, in case something will really happen to me, that water with solution on my cup will heal me, because I was the one who prepared it.” Valen said his final sentence with conviction.

Edward and Abby both immediately believed her, though Abby asked further question.

“Does that only apply if you heal yourself using your medicines? Or do you think that it also applies if you used it to others?...that would make you the greatest, don’t you think?” Abby found herself excited as she asked the question, forgetting the current situation they are in.

“We are not sure, we don’t have the time to experiment and test if it is. I do not even care anyway. Healing others is the only thing that matters.” Valen answered truthfully.

“Forgive me Valen. There’s no meaning to that question. Uhm, you mentioned two of your abilities...do you think you have more?”

Valen started inspecting the flower as she listened to Abby’s question.