Chapter 14: The Guests

Chapter 14

"Va-Valen? I-I...I mean, wh-who's that? I-I...I" Valen stuttered as she immediately looked away from him. She definitely looked guilty. She was not a good liar as she never wanted to lie. That was why as much as possible, she hides herself under a cloak. Being confronted like this was definitely too much for her to handle.

"Why are you so nervous?" Edward asked her as he crossed his arm, raising an eyebrow.

"I-I guess, I have to go. It's getting late. You can have the fish, it will be cooked and done shortly. It was a pleasure to meet you." Valen said as she immediately stood up but was halted by Edward grabbing her arms.

"Please do not make excuses, the afternoon just started. I don't know what's going on but I know you have a reason. I am a good listener, you can talk to me about anything, and I will not judge you."

"I-I don't know what are you talking about. Please just let me go." Valen said.

"I know you'll be safe here in the forest, I will let you go this time." Then Edward released her arm, "but we are not done yet."

Valen looked at him sideways, grabbed her bows and arrows and her basket with plants and bid him farewell.

Valen has already used a drop of oil from the vial, turning her hair into soft honey blond ringlets. She has already planted the plants and herbs that she picked from the forest.

Dinner came and it was definitely the most nerve-wracking dinner she ever had. She felt that Edward has been looking at her intently the whole dinner making her feel very conscious and guilty.

"Where were you the whole day Valen?" Edward asked raising one of his eyebrows. He actually wanted to see Valen's reaction, the Valen with the soft honey-blonde ringlets. He was a bit pretty sure that the black-haired lady and this Valen with soft blonde hair are the same, but how, he just did not know how. What he was totally sure of was the emerald eyes, they were ultimately exact and the same. How will he ever forget those lovely eyes that have been haunting him even on his dreams? Aside from that, her nice, rosy cheeks and soft-looking full lips...everything is the same. It's just the hair. And the reaction of the black-haired lady a while ago in the forest totally gave her in.

"Wh-what do you mean? I-I...well, this afternoon I was...uhm, planting some plants and herbs at the vacant yard." Valen stuttered as she was thinking of what to say, she did not want to lie, so she just mentioned that she planted some plants which was the truth.

"Uhuh?! Well, I was just wondering where and when did you get the plants that you planted. Oh well, never mind my asking. Let's eat." Edward suddenly realized that he has been teasing Valen again.

Valen was able to excuse herself early after dinner. She does not want to lie so, once again, the best way as of the moment was to escape Edward's further interrogation. Furthermore, she did not want to come across Lady Meredith, she was sure that Lady Meredith noticed that Edward had been looking at her the whole evening and definitely was fuming with jealousy again. She just hoped that Edward will just think that it was insane and that he will think that the black-haired her and the blonde-haired her are not the same person. However, talking about being originally a black, straight-haired "witch", anyone will think that it is not impossible.

The next day after breakfast, much of a protest, Abby helped her bathe and change into a nice, new green dress that complimented her emerald eyes, Lady Melinda personally tailored it for her and it fitted her well. Lady Meredith's father, Lord James and her step mother, Lady Mia, will be arriving shortly and will join them during lunch.

An hour later, a servant knocked on her door, informing Valen that she was summoned by Lord Thomas to join them in greeting the guests who will be arriving in a few minutes.

As Valen descended the stairs, she saw servants lined up and just outside the main door were Lord Thomas, Lady Melinda, Edward and Lady Meredith all dressed in their best clothing waiting for the guests' arrival. She just thought that why is it necessary for her to dress elegantly and join them to greet them, she was not a royal blood, she was just a humble town healer.

The four of them looked behind and saw her descending the stairs. Valen saw Lord Thomas and his wife, looking at her, smiling and looking pleased. To the left of Lady Melinda was Lady Meredith, wearing a red dress and a sour-look on her face as she looked at her with despise; and to the right of Lord Thomas was Edward, he looked so great and elegant wearing his black double-breasted tail coat, white waistcoat and light-colored pantaloons. He looked at her with blank face but as she was nearing the last step of the stair, Edward went over to her, offered his hand which she did not hesitate to take, then he softly kissed her knuckles and then he accompanied her towards the others.

"You look so lovely Valen. I am so pleased to see that the dress fits you well." Lady Melinda delightedly said.

"Thank you so much Lady Melinda". Valen shyly replied then Lord Thomas also lightly kissed her knuckles as a greeting.

"Yes, you do look so lovely." Edward whispered near her ear as they now wait for the guests to arrive. Valen looked down her feet as her face turned hot and she was sure that her face now looked as red as a tomato.

"Thank you." Valen replied as she tried her best to bring back the temperature of her face to normal, trying to remove out of her head that small compliment Edward said.

Just a few minutes later, a sophisticated carriage arrived and stopped in front of the mansion door. As the carriage driver opened the door, a stylishly dressed man descended first, he seemed just a bit younger than Lord Thomas. Then this man offered his hand to someone that was still inside the carriage, surely, that was Lady Mia, his new wife. As the lady took the man's hand, slowly she descended the carriage, as she came into view, Lord Thomas, Lady Melinda, Edward, and mostly, Valen were all surprised by the lady who just descended. The lady has a straight, black hair!

~~~~~~~

 A/N:

Random Thanks to the following: 

> Shybabygirl who voted, commented and added this on her soon-to-read list - your comment made my busy day awesome. 

> SalisuZahrah, LalalaGurl and TheYellowWrider for voting