Chapter 1: Aftermath

(A/N: this is another short chapter, chapters' length will be longer on succeeding chapters...thanks)

(To the right is a cover created by @super_skittlez01, one of the three covers which I had a hard time choosing which to use. thanks a bunch for creating an awesome cover)

===================== 

Chapter 1

Those first six months after the annihilation of the town of Yel had been very difficult for the people of Algom, as well as the people of Helena, as they are now lacking of healers to contact especially in times of sudden major crisis and illnesses. There are a few doctors in Helena and Algom, but their services are a bit expensive compared to the healers and their number does not suffice if an outbreak occurs.

Helena, Algom and Yel were the towns in the land of Cellis, Helena being the central town where the mansion of the lord of the land of Cellis situated, Lord Thomas Windsen being the king.

Lord Thomas remembered the very late night a chief soldier came to his chamber and told him the fire he saw in the direction of Yel. Lord Thomas hurriedly went to the east window and saw the bright light of flames at the far eastern end part of his land. He urgently ordered the chief soldier to gather half of the soldiers and horses, as well as his stallion Valiant, to arrange their departure to Yel, and half of them to remain within the mansion grounds; while the other soldiers outside the mansion, in Helena and Algom are to remain on their respective posts. His wife, Lady Melinda and his son, Lord Edward were shocked as the arson seemed to devour everything in Yel. Lady Melinda and Lord Edward were advised to remain in the mansion should there be any problem that will arise Cellis.  

The two scouts on horseback who were sent ahead of the main unit returned with mournful news. Lord Thomas and his troops marched into the center of town to see for themselves, only to learn that the report was correct. Upon arrival, Lord Thomas unmounted his stride as he was greeted by a vast number of graves. Houses had been reduced to ashes, the debris and rabble damp from the passing rain, the once peaceful town of Yel was now in ruins and no single sign of life in sight. Arrows were stuck on walls and shields, penetrating deep into the wood. The ground he waked upon was moist, recently dug, twigs fashioned into crosses serving as markers of every fallen, rain-battered flowers resting on top of each.

Almost half a year spent mourning and alone. Valen built her own little "shelter" in the forest near Algom, made of scrap woods as wall and some big leaves as roof. This is where she sleeps, a place having only walls and roof attached to a big tree. Her shelter definitely is not that sturdy and she can easily be a prey to big wild animals like wolfs and bears when sleeping as she doesn't have any problems encountering them in the forest when awake as one look in her eyes can easily make them run away from her, it is one of her unique abilities as a "witch" that makes her safe in the forest. She managed to grow repelia around her shelter; it is a plant that has this kind of smell which is no problem for humans but repels wild animals. She catches fish to eat by using only her bow and arrow. She was taught by her father and now an adept in archery and can hit any moving objects.

During those first couple of months being alone, most of her time was spent going outside, go somewhere without particular destination, climb and sit on a branch of a tree and look faraway thinking of nothing.

After those difficult first couple of months, Valen has not completely healed yet emotionally but she decided to pull herself together and be strong. She decided to look and find out who killed her fellow black straight-haired people especially the one who ordered them to do so.

She spent her days going deeper in the forest collecting medicinal herbs and other ingredients, her mother and father brought her many times before in the forest to let her know where to find different herbs and when is the best time to collect them. They let Valen identify what illness a certain kind of herb is for. That's the common gift a black, straight-haired people have in common, they can identify plants, grass, flowers, shrubs, vines, trees, fruits, roots and others if it poisonous or not, or if it can be used to heal a certain illnesses or not. They can identify it through either their shape, size, color, texture, smell or taste.

After collecting ingredients, she chopped, mixed, powdered, or brewed them depending on the use and the illness being treated. Twice a week, she spent time going to Algom to heal the townspeople and collected clothes, few dresses and food in return, at the same time gather information about who ordered to kill the people of Yel. How she managed to hide her identity as to what others call them as "witch", that's the use of the liquid in the vials that her mother gave for her sixteenth birthday.

=======================