Chapter 16: Emotions

Chapter 16

Edward immediately grabbed Valen and helped her stood up. He called one of the servants standing on the side and ordered her to remove the shattered vial and to clean the floor to avoid anyone getting injured and to avoid any accidents. He put her arms around Valen as a sign of protection, Valen was still silently sobbing, her head down looking at her feet. He was sure that his parents, and even their guests, already wanted to say and ask something but he thought that it was not the right time to discuss the matter so he speak to them first.

"I know you wanted to ask something, but I think it is not the right time to discuss this matter yet. I think Valen needs to be alone for a while. Meredith, don't give me that look and we're not done yet." Then he looked at Abby who was on the other side with eyes gleaming in surprised and delight. "Abby, do not bother Valen for a while and don't let anyone else do so." Then Edward led Valen to her room.

As they arrived at Valen's room, Valen looked outside her window, looking over the plants and herbs that she already planted. She already stopped sobbing as there were lots of things running on her mind that moment. She still does not have any leads who killed the black-haired folks, and if he or she really wanted every single one of them dead, and just thinking about that person know that one survived, it makes her terrified and tremble in fear, but she thought that perhaps it is better for him or her to know, so that it will be finished once and for all.

She was also thinking that she knew well that the time will come that she can no longer hide her identity; she knew that eventually, people will know who she really is; she knew that it will really be very soon as she only have a few drops of oil in that vial that shattered into pieces a while ago...but she was not prepared yet. If she was not able to think of any solution of hiding her identity further, she was actually thinking of telling the truth to Lord Thomas, Lady Melinda and Edward about who she really is.

However, what happened a while ago was something she never expected and something that she never wanted to happen. She does not want her identity be revealed that way to Lord Thomas, Lady Melinda or Edward, she should already have told them the truth, but there was nothing she can do right now, everything already happened, she should just face it and move on.

After thinking things over and calming down a bit, she realized that Edward was still standing just behind her. He never left, he did not leave her alone. She thought that it was noble and kind of him to do so. Not turning around to face Edward, she spoke to him.

"Please forgive me, Edward, for not telling you and your parents who I really am. You people have been so nice to me. I don't know what else to say to you." Her tears started to run down her cheeks once again.

Edward walked closer to her and spun her around. Valen was now facing Edward but she was looking down her feet, she was too ashamed to look at him, she felt guilty for not telling them the truth. Now she thought that if she had already told them before, probably they would understand, probably they would even find a way to help her. They have been very nice to her ever since.

"Valen, I know you have your own reason. After I saw you as a black-haired lady in the forest, after seeing your eyes, your face, I was pretty sure it was you. I no longer continued to confront you regarding it as I know you will tell me, you will tell us, in time." Edward said sincerely holding Valen shoulders.

"Bu-But...I should have already told you. You're the royal family, you're the prince. I am afraid you think that I have been deceiving you."

"Hush...do not say that. Valen, look at me... please look at me." Edward said. Valen hesitated but she lifted her face and looked at him. "I do not think that you are deceiving us, Valen. I told you, I am a good listener, you can tell me anything and everything and I will surely not judge you." Edward said to Valen as he wiped the tear that is on her cheeks. Valen continuously sobbed, feeling so guilty for hiding her secret from Edward and his parents. Edward cannot describe how he felt at the moment, what he understood was his heart was aching to see Valen crying and so depressed. He knew that she was so important to him. Not knowing what to do, he put his arm around Valen, embracing her, letting her cry on his shoulders.

Valen did not join them during dinner that night; she also did not join them during breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day. She has never gone outside her room after that. Lord Thomas and Lady Melinda understood her that they asked Abby to bring the food up to her room. They respected her and they believed that Valen will soon speak to them and tell them her story once she is ready.

Another day passed, Edward visited Valen which the latter did not refuse and allowed him inside. Valen still seemed a bit depressed but compared the other day, she seemed a bit better.

"How are you Valen?" Edward asked.

"I am a bit better, thank you Edward. I have been thinking since this morning, perhaps, there is no need to keep it long and it is already time for me to tell you my story. I wish to speak with you and your parents if it will be fine."

"It will be fine with me and I am sure my parents will be glad to listen to what you have to say, I am sure they are still in the conference chamber. I will go with you, everything will be fine." Then Edward stood up and offered his hand for Valen to take.

They walked outside her room, walked passed corridors and Valen has been walking with her head looking down. They passed a couple of servants and knights along the way but Valen never heard anyone comment or whispered anything about her. They reached the conference chamber and the knight guarding the entrance knocked twice and then he opened the door.

"Lord Thomas, Lord Edward and Lady Valen are here."

"Thank you Sir Larry, please let them in." Lord Thomas replied.

The two went inside and Valen was still looking down her feet, she felt more nervous upon entering the chamber. Now she doubted if she was ready to speak to them.

"Valen, I am so glad to see you. Please take your seat here." Lady Melinda offered a seat beside her.

"How are you Valen?" Lord Thomas asked once all of them have been seated.

"I feel better somehow, thank you Lord Thomas." Valen replied. She took a deep breath and continued. "I-I decided to speak with you as I thought that there is no need to prolong this and I owe you, Your Highnesses, an explanation." The royal family fell silent as the three of them lend their ears to Valen as she courageously walked to them, to speak to them, to tell them her story.

"I am indeed a black-haired healer, but unlike Lady Mia, I did not come from somewhere else, I am a survivor from Yel." Valen said. Even though Lord Thomas and Lady Melinda already thought that she was a survivor from Yel, they still seemed surprise, but they kept their silence to let Valen continue.

"I was atop of a tree outside the town and I cannot do anything but to watch as they die. At dawn, every house were already ashes, lifeless bodies of the black-haired people were everywhere. I saw my parents, lying on the ground, my mother was under the cold body of my father, he tried to protect her. My mother tried to cling on to her dear life, tried her best to stay conscious. I was able to speak to her, she even gave me the vials that she protected so much, but she can no longer stay alive. After that, I buried every single one of them." Valen sobbed profusely, reliving the past is so much pain for her. "How can I forget everything? How can I forget my sad past? It pains me every time I remember it. How can I forget, when all those happened, right in front of my eyes...right on my birthday?" Valen cried harder and Edward instantly went beside her and wrapped her in his arms.

Lady Melinda and Lord Thomas mouth hang open as they realized how sad Valen could have been all her life after the incident. There are lots of question that they wished to ask, but they knew they should keep it to themselves for now. What they only think at that moment, is to help Valen, in any way they can.

Edward remembered the look on Valen's eyes every time he looked at it. Her eyes were so lovely; you will not be able to realize the look of sadness in her eyes, as you will be dazzled and enchanted when you look at it, but now he knew how much pain she endured, she endured it all alone. However, this time, she will no longer be alone as he knew now how he felt. The feeling he has never been familiar with, and he never thought that he will feel. This time, for sure, and he promised himself, to always be by her side.

~~~~~~~