Chapter 2

A/N: How does one write a fight scene? I don't know, and that's why you'll have to suffer through my poor attempt at one. This chapter was kinda... bleh.

~-~-~-~-~-~-

You stayed silent in thought as Hilda dressed you and styled your hair. She'd insisted that you wait until she had finished before looking at yourself in the mirror, so now you were beyond curious to see what her work would look like. Would she be able to make you look like high nobility?

"You're very beautiful, my lady," Hilda smiled, as if she had known what you were thinking. "Such lovely dark hair, unique purple eyes, and smooth porcelain skin... you are an excellent image of a noble woman."

"... you really believe so?" you inquired, genuinely curious. After all, you were from the streets, among those of the lowest birth.

"Of course," she said, finally pulling back and guiding you to the mirror. You froze when you saw your reflection. Is that really me? you wondered, staring at the girl you saw staring back.

"Hilda... thank you," you whispered breathlessly. She had really done well. It was the first time you were willing to associate yourself with the concept of beauty. Hilda had made you look absolutely ethereal. You certainly looked the part of a Marchioness now.

"I didn't do much, my lady. You were already very beautiful from the start."

~-~-~-~-~-~-

You ran into the Phantomhives and Midfords on the way to the throne room.

"My, you look beautiful, (Y/n)," Rachel murmured, hand at her mouth in awe.

"Your dress is so pretty, and your hair too. You're super pretty!" Elizabeth squealed quietly. You smiled indulgently at her.

"I'm flattered that you think so, Auntie Rachel, Elizabeth."

Vincent and Alexis were teasingly nudging Edward, the former with a smirk on his face.

"Edward, don't you think she looks beautiful too?" Vincent ribbed, highly entertained. The boy began stuttering in embarrassment.

"You look really b-beautiful," he managed to stammer out. He kept trying to avert his gaze, but his eyes always fell back on you despite his desperation to stop staring. Vincent snickered, making Francis whack him with her fan.

"Stop that," Francis halfheartedly scolded with a sigh.

"I appreciate the compliment, Edward," you beamed. And down he went, face exploding in red. Francis pinched her lips together to keep from smiling before sobering up and looking over at you seriously.

"(Y/n), you are aware that they will be harsh on you, no?" Francis asked.

Your lips thinned. "I know," you said, sounding exhausted. "I know what I'm getting myself into."

"Show them that you're a proud bearer of your title," Alexis said, patting your shoulder in comfort and encouragement.

"I will," you grinned, eyes shining calculatingly.

The adults surrounding you returned your expression with their own smirks. Mischievousness was a common trait among them, after all. Two of them were born Phantomhives, which said enough, and the other two had married said Phantomhives, which was also quite telling, really.

They walked in and seated themselves first, while you waited outside the doors of the throne room. Once everyone had settled, the doors opened, revealing your figure. A moment passed, and then you stepped foot into your new world.