[PLEASE READ] Important Note: Grell's Pronouns

The Red Butler Arc will begin next chapter, which means that Grell will be introduced. I thought it would be best to get to this topic early.

Just know that I'm addressing the entire argument over Grell's gender and pronouns in this note. It's an important and sensitive topic that I want to go over to avoid conflict with my readers. If this isn't something that really affects you, I guess you don't really have to read through it? But if you're someone who really cares about this and you tend to bring it up when reading Black Butler fanfiction, please read.

As a bicurious (male-leaning) girl with a good number of gay/lesbian friends, as well as transgender and transsexual idols/acquaintances, I understand that this topic carries a lot of weight. I really don't want to end up insulting someone in the LGBTQ+ community out of ignorance.

Here are conditions about pointing out something related to Grell's gender in the comments:

1) If you'd like to point out a future mistake on my part that wasn't really reasoned for in this note, that's perfectly fine, I'll hear you out. Especially if I accidentally say something offensive without realizing. But please be polite about it, as I'm doing my best.

2) If you decide to grill me on something I already mentioned and explained in this note, I'm just going to ignore it. So, please read the entire note.

3) Remember that I have my own opinions and you have your own. Let's be respectful of each other's opinions and not try to force them on each other. If you really don't agree with me even after reading my reasoning, it's probably best that you stop following this story.

About my standing in the argument:

Look, Grell's pronouns are a huge, controversial topic in the Kuroshitsuji fandom. I looked through a lot of threads discussing the matter of how to address Grell, and there are so many arguments about it everywhere. For this story, I want to make things as accurate to Yana Toboso's work while being as non-offensive to the LGBTQ+ community as possible.

Let's start with something clear: Grell actually doesn't have a canonical gender. Yana Toboso herself uses both male and female pronouns when referring to Grell, and Grell actually refers to [him/her]self as both genders. Normally, I would just go with "they/them" pronouns for this reason alone, but there is the fact that canonically, I don't remember Grell being referred to with "they/them" pronouns (correct me if I'm wrong). Further explanations as to my choices are below, so please keep reading. Anyways, the lack of a canonical gender means that for the most part, Grell's gender is up for interpretation. I personally believe that Grell is genderfluid.

Grell is undoubtedly biologically male, which we pick up during the confrontation between Madam Red and Ciel. Grell said "he" was upset that "his" body could not give birth to a baby. However, during this time, Grell also refers to "herself" as a female. So, Grell is very much in touch with "her" more feminine side.

It also needs to be taken in consideration that Grell seems to have no problems with being either male or female, personally using both sets of pronouns. Grell would be more vehemently against the use of male pronouns (especially since everyone else in the Kuroshitsuji world refers to Grell with such) if there was a major issue with "his" current gender. But seeing that Grell doesn't object or show offense to everyone referring to "him" as male, I believe Grell is fine either way.

One of the main things that makes Grell unhappy about being biologically male is the inability to bear children, but Grell doesn't seem to hate it otherwise. This leads me to believe that Grell, while preferring to be feminine, doesn't take much issue to being male, and isn't uncomfortable about it.