Chapter 5

A/N: In which some boys receive much love, because they fucking deserve it. Not Sebastian though. Sebastian will have to deal with being annoyed to hell and back *ugly evil cackling*

I love you and all, butler-boy, but the love isn't gonna come pouring on you right after you went and snatched Ciel's soul.

~-~-~-~-~-~-

The hospital was bustling with people, and Ciel walked up to the reception desk to ask for Madam Red while Sebastian lingered behind with you still in his arms.

You heard a thud and some commotion, and when you turned your head, your eyes widened at the sight of Tanaka. He lived. He really lived.

"Grandpa?!" Ciel exclaimed, running forward, Sebastian following.

"Young master!" the old butler cried, hugging the boy. "You... You are alive!"

"I promised, didn't I?" you smiled from Sebastian's hold. Tanaka looked up at you with teary eyes.

"I'm glad to see that you lived as well, my lady. Thank you, for protecting him."

"...No need to thank me," you whispered, averting your eyes guiltily from his thankful gaze. I wasn't able to do enough. Out of everyone I should've been able to save, Ciel is the only survivor. And even for him... he's here, but for how long...?

~-~-~-~-~-~-

After Tanaka had handed Sebastian the Phantomhive butler's watch, Madam Red had hugged you both in tears before preparing a carriage and handing Ciel the last Phantomhive signet ring. Both you and Ciel remained silent the entire ride to the manor, preparing yourselves to see the remains of the devastation that had brought the family to ruin.

Upon arrival, you couldn't help but stare at the broken mansion with wet eyes and a dry throat. Everything is gone. Uncle Vincent and Auntie Rachel are gone. It finally sunk in that you would never see them again. Your knees felt weak at the thought.

"This is quite bad," you distantly heard Sebastian mutter as you stumbled over towards the graves, Ciel following. You collapsed to your knees in front of the stones, holding back the urge to cry as you let Ciel speak to his parents first.

"Father... Mother..." his head bowed and he stayed there silently. You took it as your opportunity to let yourself grieve.

Uncle Vincent, Auntie Rachel... I'm sorry I couldn't save you. After everything you've done for me, I failed, and I'm so sorry. Ciel... Ciel made a contract with a demon because I was too weak to protect him, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry, you silently chanted, biting your lip to stifle your sobs. If Ciel wasn't crying, then you didn't deserve to bother thinking of doing so.

You'll never have the opportunity to see him again, and he will never be able to see you again, and it's all my fault. But I swear that I'll do everything I can to look after him until the day it all ends. It's the least I can do for you. The Queen may have my loyalty for giving me this life, but you gave me a family. And that means more to me than my life.

"Young master. My lady," Sebastian called, walking up to the two of you. You blinked in surprise, seeing that the evening had already begun to settle, and the cold stung your cheeks. You must've been really lost in thought to not notice. "The night wind is not good for your health," he smiled, draping his coat over your shoulders when you shivered.

The action made you frown, and you resisted the urge to pull it around you tighter. It's all just for show. He's a demon, the one taking Ciel's soul. I can't let myself be fooled. I can't get too attached. He doesn't even care.