Chapter 11

A/N: Have some tears 😗. Serving you an extra long, angsty chapter, with some revealing-but-not-really information about our reader. It was a little long, so effectively combing through was sort of difficult, but hopefully there aren't too many errors :)

~-~-~-~-~-~-

You knocked on the polished wood of Ciel's bedroom door, the dread in your stomach still twisting like knives.

"Ciel, I'm here. We need to talk."

"Come in."

You peaked inside to see him looking at you expectantly from the bed, eye-patch on the night table. Slowly, you plopped yourself beside him on the mattress.

"So? What was with you earlier?" he asked bluntly, giving you a pointed stare that demanded absolute honesty.

"It's about Jack the Ripper," you muttered, looking down. The glumness of your voice didn't escape him, so when you reached out, he let you take his hands without protest. Although his face didn't change at all, his voice was audibly softer.

"What about the case?"

You smiled bitterly. Really, this kid... he grew up so much. He's already handling this so maturely. I wish he didn't have to.

"It's about the suspect list and the true culprit."

"Yes, the list was strange. Viscount Druitt was the only person who could've possibly done the deed..."

"No, he was the only human that could've," you sighed. Ciel's eyes immediately widened, darting over to Sebastian, who stood in the corner.

"Then the whole inquiry was a farce?" he scowled at the demon. You tugged at his hands, drawing his attention back before the demon could reply. There was no doubt that there would be no delicacy in his words if he had done the talking.

"I'm sorry, Ciel. This is my fault," you admitted quietly.

"...How?"

"The real suspect... I had already guessed since the beginning, but I never acted on it. I should've brought it up. I should've stopped being delusional. But I was so pathetic and weak," you spat out, the tears stinging your eyes again. "I let my emotions take priority over my duty. It was my mistake."

"Who is it?" Ciel asked, deceptively calm as his hands curled in your own. By the look on his face, he was starting to realize what you were hinting at.

"... One of the prime suspects since the start of this investigation... Madam Red," you stated. "And my belief is that she was assisted by Grell. Right, Sebastian?" you questioned, without looking back.

"That is correct, my lady."

"Grell had felt strange since the beginning, so I had wondered. If he was not human, why be her butler?" you fidgeted with Ciel's fingers. "But... it is clear that Madam Red is the culprit, which means that Grell is her non-human assistant."

"... I see," he muttered, eyes casting down to your joined hands. His facial expression revealed nothing about his thoughts, though you suspected that his mind was in turmoil.

"Are you... mad at me?" you asked tentatively. Your reply was an exasperated exhale.

"I don't blame you," he muttered. "Honestly, you're far too softhearted for this job," he huffed.

That sounds like criticism to me...

"Anyways, I think we should move tonight," you said. "They will be making their move then. I looked a bit further into the matter with Sebastian shortly before coming here, and based on the criteria of commonalities in the victims thus far, all of the prostitutes had undergone abortive surgeries with Madam Red. That means that the next victim will be Mary Kelly."