14 | Percy

Percy's POV

1593 words

I walked down to the shore with Alex in tow. When we got there, I summoned two fishing chairs for us and fishing poles. Mine was the one Poseidon gave me after the Second Titian War. He had just come to thank me and he left the gift on the sand. I found out later—much to Paul's surprise and mine (that's a story for another time)—that it turns into a trident if you spin it like a staff. I had a similar one made for Alex and figured now was as good a time as any to give it to him. We were both absentmindedly fishing while talking.

"Sage doesn't really hate you. They're just stressed about the quest."

"I can imagine. I'm not mad at them. I hope they know I don't hate them."

"I know that, but I'm not sure if Sage does. They're always a little cautious and defensive around you. I'm not entirely sure why. I think it's more than what they've told me. More than just you and Mr. D's rivalry."

While I didn't doubt that, I could also tell this was just a way for Alex to avoid the real reason he asked to talk to me.

"Alex, we're not here to talk about Sage, are we? What's on your mind?"

Alex shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"What happens after this?"

I looked over to Alex in slight concern and mild confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," he huffed, "what are you going to do after this quest? Leave again? Show up for an hour every couple of weeks?! You only came to visit because of the quest!"

I was taken back by Alex's sudden outburst. It seemed that Sage's rant the other night had a little merit after all.

"I know you're busy and everything," he continued more subdued, "but you're never around anymore. And I don't want to just do this stupid quest and then never see you again."

My heart was heavy in guilt and regret. I never meant to push Alex away. I never meant for him to feel abandoned. So I quickly pulled him into a hug.

"I'm sorry. I should've visited more. You're right," I conceded. "And I can't do much to help on your quest. But I promise you. I promise you I will always be there for you whether you need me or not. I'll make more of an effort."

Alex melted into my embrace. I think my words soothed him because even at 17–well, we were technically both 17 at the moment—he buried his head into my shoulder, as I was a good head taller, for comfort. I should've known my distance would've hit him hard. He had a rough time of it and I probably made him feel like I didn't care. I remember when I thought no one but Mom would care about what happened to me. It broke my heart to think I might have pushed him to believe the same. I knew he had friends and he was with Mom and Paul, but we had a strong relationship after the invasion. Or, at least, it was getting there. Then I got wrapped up in being a god and helping people. I forgot to take moments to appreciate who I was improving the world for—my family.

I didn't know what I did to deserve a brother like him. He was good. At the heart of it, he was a compassionate, empathetic, determined young man who deserved all the happiness in the world. He made everyone smile and laugh and be at peace. Not to sound conceited, but he reminded me of my best characteristics. He didn't have the flaws I saw in myself. I was glad he was in my life, and right then, I promised myself I wouldn't take our short time together for granted.

We pulled part after a minute. I saw Alex hold back tears, so I tousled his hair as a distraction as I secretly evaporated his tears. He jokingly reached up to fix the hair we both knew couldn't be fixed.