♥︎ Davey x Reader ∥ Your Name (part one)

• 1395 words • male reader • soulmate AU •

Requested by @acoolant 

♡♡♡

"(Y/n)! Wake up! We're gonna be late for work!"

   Young Dorothy violently shook her older brother, (Y/n), awake. "C'mon! We're gonna be late!" she cried again.

   "Alright, alright, I'm up," (Y/n) replied groggily. "Get out so I can change."

   Dorothy giggled and ran towards the door.

   (Y/n) got out of bed and headed to his small dresser. (Y/n)'s family wasn't the richest in the world, but with (Y/n) and his sister selling newspapers instead of going to school, they got by just fine.

   The young newsie, only 16 years old, stepped in front of his mirror to change. Though, he couldn't help but stare at the names written on each of his wrists. One, the name of his soulmate, the other of his enemy. They appeared on everyone's wrists when they turned 11, yet no one knew which one was which.

   But on (Y/n)'s wrists, he had the same name. 'David'. (Y/n) had absolutely no clue what that could mean. Was he destined to fall in love with his enemy? Or was it just a coincidence that his soulmate and enemy had the same name. Either way, he'd never met a 'David' in his life, so he tried not to think about it too much.

   (Y/n) changed into his usual attire and headed to the kitchen. His mother, Iris, was washing the floors. She always needed everything in their tiny apartment to be spotless.

   "Morning Mom," (Y/n) said when he came in.

   "Oh, good morning hun," Iris said, looking up from her scrubbing to her son. "Breakfast is on the table. Your father went to work early today. Lots to do." And she continued her scrubbing.

   (Y/n) nodded and sat down. He noticed an empty plate beside his. Dorothy must have finished already, he thought.

   Right on cue, Dorothy came out of her room, all dressed and ready for the day. And once (Y/n) finished his last bite, they were off.

   (Y/n) and Dorothy worked for The New York Sun, one of the biggest newspaper companies in New York, along with The New York World.

   Last year, 1899, the newsies of New York went on strike against Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst, the owners of these companies. (Y/n) had taken part of the strike - much to his father's dismay - but he didn't do much. Newsies from The World had a bigger role, and only few from The Sun went on strike.

   When (Y/n) and his sister arrived at the circulation gates of The Sun, Dorothy immediately ran off to find her friends. Her best friend, Franklin, had just turned eleven, therefore receiving his soulmate's and enemy's names.

   (Y/n) went up to his best friend, Jason, who was sitting on the floor, waiting for the circulation bell to ring.

   "Hey, Jason," (Y/n) said, sitting next to him. "What's up?"

   "The sky," Jason replied groggily.

   "Tired?" (Y/n) asked.