♡ Davey x Jack ∥ I'll Wait

• 1329 words •

Davey walked down the sidewalk wiping tears from his eyes. A small bag filled with clothes was slung over his shoulder.

"David, wait!" his sister, Sarah, called to him. She ran up to him. "Here." She handed him a couple of one dollar bills. "This should be enough for you to buy your keep at the lodging home for a few weeks."

"Sarah, I-I can't. This is yours-" Davey tried to give Sarah back the money, but she just pushed his hand back.

"Take it. It's the least I could do."

Davey smiled at her. "Thank you."

Sarah smiled back at him. She pulled him into a hug. "I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I wish I could do something more to help."

Davey shook his head. "This is already enough." They stayed in the embrace for a while, more tears threatening to spill out of Davey's eyes. "You really are the best sister anyone could ask for."

They let go and Sarah looked up into her brother's tearful eyes, her own eyes also ready to cry. "I should get back now. But, remember, if you ever need anything, Les and I will always be here for you, no matter what."

"Thanks." The two siblings said their goodbyes and went their separate directions.

Davey must have walked only a few blocks when he heard a familiar voice call to him. "Davey!" Davey could never forget that voice. It was Jack Kelly's, a young newsie who organized a strike with Davey a few months back.

Jack ran up to Davey and patted him on the shoulder. "Aw, man, I haven't seen yous since your father went back to work and yous and Les went back to school. How is Les anyways?"

"He's fine," Davey replied, his voice slightly cracking.

"Hey, is everything alright? Yous seem like you've been cryin'."

"I-I'm fine," Davey replied, though it was obvious he wasn't fine.

Jack noticed the bag Davey was carrying. "Heyo, what's in the bag?" he asked.

"Jus-just some clothes."

"Why you got a bag full of clothes? The laundromat is closed by now."

"Actually I uh... I'm actually headed to the lodging home."

"Wait, really?!" Jack exclaimed. "Awesome! Why?"

Davey hesitated. "I um... I got kicked out."

Jack couldn't believe it. "Hah, you're jokin' right?" Davey shook his head. "No way. David Jacobs got kicked out?! There is absolutely no way. Why?"

Davey sighed. "I just told my parents I'm gay and they kicked me out."

Jack looked at Davey with sympathy in his eyes. "Oh, buddy," he said, "I'm so sorry that happened to ya."

Davey whipped a tear from his cheek.

"Hey, well, the lodging home always gots room for new folks comin' in. Come, we'll walk there together. I've sold all my papes for today" Jack placed his arm around Davey's shoulders and they started to walk towards the lodging home. Davey was honestly so thankful that his best friend accepted him for who he is.

Once they were about three blocks from the lodging home, Davey noticed someone across the street. It was Katherine Pulitzer, Jack's girlfriend. Davey nudged Jack. "Hey, it's your girlfriend," he said, pointing across the street at her. "Katherine!"

Katherine turned to face him and waved when she saw Davey. She looked over to Jack and her smile faded. She awkwardly looked away and continued walking.