♥︎ Spot x Reader ∥ Sneaking Out

•1006 words • female reader•

Requested by @Bookg1rl

Everyday I saw him at the same place. He stood at the corner down the street of my house, selling newspapers. He didn't know I existed, of course. My father never let me leave the house. "The world is no place for a fragile, young lady like yourself," he would say.

   I know he's just worried, ever since my mom died hen I was three. She was attacked in the streets while walking alone and was left to die. Ever since, my father never let me go outside.

   Still, I watched the attractive, young boy sell newspapers everyday out my bedroom window.

   "(Y/N)! I'm heading out!" my father called from downstairs. "Goodbye!"

   "Goodbye!" I called back. "See you later!" As my father left for work, I began my chores.

   Around twelve, while washing dishes, I heard clamoring coming from outside. I rushed to the window to see what was going on. Outside, directly in front of my house, I saw the young boy fighting with two other boys - who both looked much older than him. The boy was bloodied up quite a bit.

   One of the older boys punched the younger one so hard he crashed into my house. Laughing when he didn't get up, the older boys left.

   Ignoring everything my father told me, I ran outside to him. "Are you okay?!" I frantically asked, though obviously he was not okay.

   He groaned in pain. "Come inside," I told him. I help him up and we slowly walked back in.

   I helped him sit down at the dining room table, and ran into the kitchen. I took out a small towel and poured some cold water on it from the small kitchen sink. I went back to the dinning room and gave him the towel, to which he placed it on his black eye.

   "Thanks..." he mumbled, still in pain.

   "It's no problem at all," I responded, sitting down next to him.

   We sat in silence for a bit, with the occasional wince of pain coming from the boy.

   It suddenly dawned on me that I just broke the biggest rule my father has put in place and I let a stranger into my house. I let out a sigh.

   "Spot," the boy said.

   I looked at him. "Huh?" I asked. He still had his head down, the towel on his eye.

   "I'm Spot," he said. "Spot Conlon." He looked up at me. "Nice ta meet ya."

   "I-it's nice to meet you, too, Spot," I said. "I'm (Y/N) (L/N)."

   "(Y/N)..." he repeated. "That's a lovely name."

   "T-thank you." I paused. "Who were those two boys beating you up?"

   "Oscar and Morris Delancey," Spot replied. "They'se visitin' Brooklyn with their uncle for the weekend and they do not like newsies."

   "Oh..."

   Spot stared at me, before speaking. "You'se cute. Can I takes you out on a date?"

   I was taken aback by his sudden question. "I... um..." was all I managed to stutter out. I felt my face heat up. A stranger just asked me out!

   "Sorry, that was out of the blue, I know but-"

   "Sure," I cut him off. "I'd like to, but my dad doesn't let me leave the house so.." I trailed off.

   "Then how 'bout I sneak you outta here at night?" Spot suggested.

   "Uh... I don't know... I'm not really someone who breaks the rules."

   Spot shrugged. "It's alright then." He stood up and placed the towel on the table. "Thanks for everythin'. I'll see myself out." He began to walk to the door.

   "Wait!" I said as he placed his hand on the doorknob. I stood up. "I'll go out on a date with you."

   Spot smirked at me. "Alright then," he said. "See ya outside tomorrow at ten, 'kay?"

   "'Kay," I replied and he left.

♡♡♡

   Ten o'clock came and I was freaking out. I've haven't been outside in twelve years. I peered out my bedroom window. Spot was leaning against a lamppost across the street. I let out a sigh. Quickly checking that I looked okay in the mirror one more time, I quietly opened my bedroom door. 

   I tiptoed across the hall and down the stairs. My heart was pounding. Earlier, I had left the front window open so I could leave without making much noise. 

   I climbed out the window and ran across the street to Spot. "I can't believe I'm actually doing this," I said. 

   Spot smiled at me. "You looks good," he said. "I'm glad you'se came."

   My face began to heat up. I only nodded. 

   "Well... let's go." 

♡♡♡

   Spot lead me down the quiet streets of Brooklyn. I felt a rush of adrenaline with each step. It was exhilarating to break the rules.

   Spot brought me to the Brooklyn Bridge. It was huge! There were a few people grouped around. We stopped around the middle of the bridge. "So, what are we going to do?" I asked.

   "Just wait," Spot responded, leaning on the railing.

   And wait I did. But I didn't have to wait long. Suddenly, fireworks began to light up the night sky. They were all different covers and shapes. "Woah..." I said in awe. 

   Spot chuckled. "Yeah... they'se light 'em every month or so. Not sure why, though. But here's the best spot to see 'em."

   "They're beautiful," I said. "I've never seen fireworks before."

   "Well, then we'll come back next month. That is... if ya want to."

   I took my eyes off the fireworks and onto Spot. "I'd love to."

♡♡♡

   Spot walked me home when the show finished at around eleven, and I slipped back into the house unnoticed. I tiptoed up the stairs and back into my room. I took off my corset and changed into my nightgown. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I hopped into bed, anticipating the next morning, which Spot said he would start selling right in front of my house so we could see each other everyday until we snuck out to watch the next firework show.