♥︎ Skittery x Reader ∥ Roses Are Red

•2223 words • female reader•

"Wake up everyone!" The owner of the lodging home shouted at all the sleeping newsies. "Sell the papes! Wake up!"

   Slowly but surely, the newsies starts to wake up.

   "Buttons, Specs, wake up!" the owner shouted. He pulled off Jack's blanket. "Ugh. Someone wake (Y/N)."

   "I'll wake her," Skittery replied groggily.

   (Y/N) was the only female living in the newsboy's lodging home. Usually, girls weren't aloud in, but (Y/N) was homeless and had nowhere else to go - and young girls with no where to go get dent to convents - so the owner of the lodging home took pity on her and let her stay.

   At first, the other newsies were awkward around their new female roommate, but overtime became more comfortable with her. Now she was just 'one of the guys'.

   Skittery walked over to the far end of the room, where (Y/N) was sleeping on the bottom bunk.

   Skittery took his cap and slapped (Y/N)'s back with it. "(Y/N), wake up," he said.

   (Y/N) groaned and took her pillow and placed it over her head. "Five more minutes..." she said.

   Skittery shook his head and grabbed (Y/N)'s pillow and slapped her with it. "C'mon. We got work to do."

   (Y/N) took her pillow and hit Skittery's side with it. "Alright, alright. I'm up," she said.

   Skittery chuckled and threw the pillow on (Y/N)'s face. She got up and the two newsies walked over to the washing area.

   The place was a mess, as always. Clothes and towels were being thrown all over the place, people were bumping into each other, and everyone was shouting.

   "Race, you can't smoke in here!"

   "Move your elbow, Specs!"

   "Give me back my toothbrush, Jack!"

   "Crutchie, pass me my vest please!"

   "Anyone see my cap?"

   "Albert, use your own razor!"

   "Someone pass me a towel!"

   "Romeo, button up your pants! No one wants to see your tiny dick!"

   (Y/N) quickly moved passed everyone to the stalls, where she changed out of her night gown into her regular dress. She combed through her hair and placed a large bow in it.

   She exited the stall and they all headed out the door. Everyday the newsies could be seen on the streets of New York hawking headlines and selling newspapers for a penny a paper.

   Each would buy their papers at a factory every morning at two for a penny.

   As the newsies split up after buying their papes that morning, (Y/N) and Skittery set off together.

   "Do you honestly think today's headline is that good?" (Y/N) asked her best friend.

   "Huh?" Skittery said.

   "You bought a hundred papes 'stead of fifty, like ya normally do," (Y/N) replied. "You must think the headline is good if you thinks you can sell all those papes today."

   "O-oh, yeah..." Skittery replied. He looked down at his papes. 'Man Raises Family of Ducks on Balcony' it read. "G-good headline." He cleared his throat. "Besides, I need the extra money."