♥︎ Oscar x Reader ∥ Who Are You?

• 415 words • non-binary reader • modern AU • angst •

Requested by: @BeNice2Trash

Inspired by this prompt ↑

♡︎♡︎♡︎

It was the fourth grade when I first met them.

   They sat next to me in the back of the classroom. I immediately noticed their (h/l) (h/c) hair, and the way they always raised their hand in class. I could never do that. I'm to shy.

   But one day they asked me if they could borrow a pencil, and that's when I realized I had a crush on them.

   My name's Oscar Delancey, and I'm now in my Junior year of high school. I've had a crush on my classmate, (Y/n) (L/n), for years.

My older brother, Morris, has been nagging at me to ask them out for ages.

"Oscar, the Valentines Day Dance is coming up, ask them to that," he told me at lunch one day.

"But, what if they say no," I retaliated. "I don't know if ya noticed, but we ain't the most liked kids in this school."

   It's true. See, there's this group of really popular kids at our school. They call themselves 'the Newsboys', since they work for the school's newspaper. And if they don't like ya, nobody in this school does.

   "I dunno, Morris. I just-"

   "No, alright?!" Morris snapped. "I'm sick and tired of you talking about how much you like this person, but you ain't doin' anything about it! Now, you're gonna go tell them how you feel, or I'm telling Mom you ate her last double chocolate chip cookie last night."

   And that's how I ended up waiting outside Mrs. Venderbeck's classroom. It was almost the end of the day, and my math teacher had let us go early. I asked around to see if anyone knew where (Y/n) was. Now all I had to do was wait.

When the bell finally rung, the class started filing out. I peaked in to see (Y/n) packing their things and talking with their friends.

When they exited the door, I tapped them on the shoulder. They turned to face me. Their friends stood a little behind in the hall, waiting for (Y/n).

"U-um... Hi, (Y/n)," I said nervously.

"Um, hi," they responded.

"I-I was wondering if you would like to go to the Valentines Dance with me next Friday."

(Y/n) anxiously looked back at their friends then back at me. Their (e/c) eyes looked up at me. "I'm sorry but... who are you?"

♡︎♡︎♡︎

A/n: Sorry this is really short but I had fun writing it!