Chapter Twenty

⧏ ▴ ⧐

Hogwarts, 1992

"You have to sit where?" Daphne says, walking beside me towards the Quidditch Pitch. It's the first game of the season, a chill in the air as our boots crunch against the frosted over grass.

"In the box with all of the parents," I groan, rolling my eyes. "Mum came with Mrs. Malfoy, says I have to 'spend time' with them."

"That's bullshit," Daphne mumbles, stuffing her hands into her coat pockets with a frown.

"Absolutely—"

"Burke!"

I look over my shoulder to find Theo and Blaise running towards us from the hill. They seem to be in the midst of an argument, Blaise yelling after Theo as he attempts to trip him, before bolting ahead to meet us.

"Settle something for us," Theo says, coming to a halt between Daphne and I. "Who do you think will make the team next year? Me or Zabini?"

He grins, raising his eyebrow expectantly.

Daphne chuckles, "What position?"

"Chaser," Blaise says, coming around to my other side, out of breath from the jog. He nudges my side lightly, whispering hello under his breath before looking back at Daphne.

I laugh, "Are you kidding?" A smile comes over my face as I look back to Theo, "It's Blaise, easily!"

"Oh, now c'mon—"

"Told you, Nott! I told you—"

"Violet," a stern voice cuts in, halting out jovial conversation. I look away from the boys to see my mother standing before me, her harsh features angled in my direction.

Her hair's pulled back tight, her deep purple cloak draping over her form perfectly, her hand delicately wrapped around a beaded clutch that can't possibly be large enough to hold anything useful.

"Hello Mum," I say with a slight bow of my head, "this is—"

"I remember from cotillion, dear," my mother paints on a thin lipped smile. "Hello, Daphne, Theodore." She nods to each of them in turn, her eyes skimming over Blaise before landing back on me.

His mum just got remarried— again. It's quite the scandal.

"We're expected up in the box, mustn't keep Narcissa waiting," she tutts, starting to turn away before her gazes passes over me again.

"My— what on Earth are you wearing? Where's the dress I sent you?" She scrunches her face, observing the worn jeans and green sweater I have on beneath by black school cloak— a Slytherin scarf pulled around my neck.

"It didn't fit right," I shrug. "I wanted to be comfortable—"

"Do you not know the spells to alter clothes?" Mum raises an eyebrow, looking thoroughly displeased.

I hear Theo hiss a breath out beside me, undoubtedly wondering if now's a good time to sneak away.

"I do! it's just—"

"No matter," My mother waves her hand, cutting me off. In a second, she unclips the clutch, pulls her wand from it, and does an extravagant design over my body— white and green sparks shooting from the tip.

I feel warm for a moment, and then as it disputes back into the chill November air, I look down to find my clothes transformed into a loose frock.