Chapter Nine

songs for this chapter:
malibu 1992 - coin

⧏ ▴ ⧐

September 9th, 1995 cont...

Blaise leads me the majority of the way up to Runes before splitting off on the fourth floor, heading to the library. He smiles and laughs, theorizes what books the library might have to assist in the Umbridge affair.

He was pleasant, kind, charming, and absolutely everything Malfoy wasn't.

He was perfect.

I brave the last two flights by myself, finding my way to the Rune's classroom with plenty of time to spare.

Runes, being a harder subject, was always a small class— even when we started in third year. But, as the years went on the crowd thinned out even further. Malfoy, Theo, and I are the only Slytherin's left. A smattering of Ravenclaws, a single Hufflepuff— Susan Bones— and Hermione as the lone Gryffindor.

It was quite the mix.

Hermione and Susan generally clung to each other, the minority in a room full of purebloods. Isolated by circumstance. The Ravenclaws were fine, a bit standoffish at times, but not rude at all— they just tended to keep to themselves unless it was just us and them. The were closers with the guys, anyways. I really only talked to Padma, and she dropped out last year after Christmas.

The room itself was magnificent. High up in the main tower, the room housed enormous windows that looked out onto the Black Lake, always flooding the desks with light. From the ceiling hung large magnifying glasses, which could be moved around to heighten the texts we were required to translate. The desks were set in pairs of two— although now there were so few of us that we would all have been able to sit alone (which Theo rarely allowed me to do, always senselessly chatting my ear off all class, likely the reason I couldn't remember shit from lessons).

Professor Babbling's desk up front was always piled with books, loose pages falling onto the ground around it.

When I arrive, two Ravenclaw boys (Stephen and Michael) have claimed seats up front, and Hermione and Susan are chatting at a table in the middle. I opt for a desk in the back, generally liking it best in order to focus on the class. While I hate admitting Malfoy's right, it is my hardest subject.

"I have to say, I'm awfully offended that you picked Zabini for a mission over me."

I turn my head from unpacking my books to find Theo standing at the chair beside me, an overplayed frown on his face. I roll my eyes, forcing a smile onto his face as he falls down into the seat.

"What is it with the two of you, hm?" Theo raises his eyebrow, leaning sideways in his chair. He smirks as he rests his chin in his hand and asks, "Are you snogging?"

Merlin do I wish we were...

"Theo!" I exclaim, hitting his arm lightly with a laugh. "No, we are not."

Theo frowns, huffing and turning forward in his chair. "Boring," he mutters, "I was counting on you to make my day interesting."

I snort, shaking my head at him, "Promise you, if I snog Blaise, you'll be the first to know." I smile, patting his shoulder lightly. I turn to the table, rummaging through my bag in search of my Runes textbook.

"I would expect as much," Theo smiles, nodding his head. He seems to perk up for a moment, lifting his chin from his hand and looking over at me. "Speaking of snogging," he grins, "guess who I've—"

"Move, Nott."

A book slams down between Theo and I just as I lift my own onto the table. A hand on the book steadies it, Slytherin's class ring shining on a finger. His fingers drum against the book, a motion I immediately recognize from late nights in the library or overstayed welcomes at the Manor.