Chapter Six

songs for this chapter:
narcissist - no rome (ft. the 1975)
shut up - greyson chance

⧏ ▴ ⧐

Hogwarts, 1991

"Malfoy? Really?"

Daphne sits on my bed in the dormitory, fiddling with her textbooks. We're just a few months into first year now, but, we've gotten quite close.

In Slytherin, our dormitories are rather nice. Each year has its own parlor room, off of which sits two bedrooms (one with two beds and one with three), and a shared bathroom. Daphne and I reside in the smaller bedroom, separating us from our other dormmates (Pansy, Tracey, and Millicent), and allowing us a bit more privacy.

"He's a right tosser— can't stand the bloke sometimes." She huffs, leaning back onto my pillows.

"I can't stand him all of the time." I roll my eyes, plopping down in front of her. "But, my mum says it's a good match— something about maximizing my opportunities."

"That's what my mum says about Theodore." Daphne frowns, "I'm not sure I like him much either."

"Theo? Nott?" I raise my eyebrows, "He seems quite nice."

"He's nice alright, funny too..." She trails off, her head shifting to the side, "I just can't see myself marrying him."

She whines, picking up one of my spare pillows and pressing it on top of her head with an exasperated groan.

I giggle, "You're fortunate to have Theo. He's much more bearable than Malfoy." I look over at her and raise my brow just as she peaks an eye out from the pillow. She shrugs.

"Your parents are set on it, then?" She frowns.

"Absolutely." I nod. "We were there for Christmas last year— we are every year— and my mum said I was going to have to marry him eventually. Malfoy's parents told him the same."

"Maybe I've got a chance to get out, then. We've only been to the Nott's for Christmas once." Daphne snickers, tossing the pillow at me. I catch it, rolling my eyes and placing it back by my headboard.

"You're time will come, my dear." I sing out, leaning back against the bedpost, "At least your future fiancé won't tell you your hair's hideous— or treat you like an object of a business deal."

There's a somber of moment of silence, before Daphne sighs.

"That's what we are, aren't we?" Daphne sits up on her elbows, her eyes dim, "To our father's at least."

I swallow, thinking of my father talking about Lucius's status, of his wealth. Of how connections will help strengthen our family and improve his standing at the ministry.

"Hey, maybe you'll grow to love him," Daphne says, lightheartedness spread back throughout her tone. "He's bound to grow out of his tosser phase eventually." She laughs, rolling off of my bed and moving to hers.

"Doubt it," I mumble, scooting up the bed and pulling my covers over myself.

Daphne sighs with pity, looking over at me before tucking herself in.

"Night, Vi," Daphne says quietly, giving me a small smile before drawing her curtains shut.

"Yeah, night." I give her a nod and lay down on my bed, shutting my eyes and shutting out my thoughts.