Chapter 7

"Are you one hundred percent sure you'll be okay?" Mia asks, standing in front of me as I get comfortable on the black leather couch.

I nod my head, "Yeah. I'll be okay... probably just going to take a nap, comfortable for the first time in several weeks.."

She rolls her eyes playfully, "If you need anything just talk to William. Or me, through the comms."

I gently kick her with my leg, "Go, before you miss the robbery. If it were me you were after, you'd be gone already."

She smirks, leaning down, "We caught you already, though, sweetie." She whispers quietly.

I stare up at her, going dead silent. She laughs quietly, walking off.

"Let's go, before it's over." She calls out, before rushing up the stairs.

Connor and Zoe follow after her. Both John and Lyla seem uninterested in tagging along. Connor was definitely upset before he left.

I sigh, relaxing into the couch and letting my eyes shut. What a day. At least I'm not stuck in that box of metal.

"So... William. How'd you know about this whole ordeal?" Lyla asks, crossing her arms as she watches the screens from behind him.

William's hands dance along the keyboard as he answers, "Her DNA... Mia take a left and you'll be able to cut the thief off."

I glance over at him at the sound of her name, but turn my attention away again. I can't even stand the sight of them.

"How did you know she was our kid?" Lyla asks, John turning to look at her, and then William.

"I used to study the DNA of those I trusted." William mumbled, "Plus it's in the ARCHER program files. Mom never deleted them."

"Oh." John says, he looks over to me. I catch him staring, and he looks off.

"YES! Mia you got him!!" William yells, causing all of us to jump.

"Alright. Get that son of a bitch to the department." William laughs. He turns his earpiece off, setting it down on the desk and turning to face Lyla and John.

The three of them talk about life, and everything else, avoiding the elephant in the room.

John and Lyla take turns glancing over to me, and I do everything in my power to ignore them.

The elevator dings, and the three heroes enter the room. Mia walks to her glass case, resting her bow in it, and then walks off into the shower room.

Zoe takes her mask off, and walks up the steps onto the large platform, talking with John, Lyla and William.

And Connor completely avoids them, walking towards me. He must've forgotten I was here because he jumps, not expecting to see me.

"Oh uh- hi-" He greets. I simply wave, an tuck my feet under myself, still laying down.

"Feel free to sit, there's plenty of space... plus it's your place." I chuckle quietly. He hesitantly sits down, a stressed look on his sweaty space.

I watch him for a moment, before looking away.

"Ya know, JJ always wanted a little sister. I think he would've traded me for one." Connor looks at me.

I raise an eyebrow, "Really? Mom and-" I clear my throat, "John and Lyla.. they always uh, made it seem like the two of you were super close. Best buds."

Connor only laughs, "Please. For a while he and I weren't too close. We got close... in this life anyways. And then when I graduated I went down a rough patch." He shrugs.

I nod, "Damn, I uh- I didn't know. After uh... they left that final time and... yeah.. uhm, I ran away. Didn't come back. Ever. They haven't seen me since I was 16." I sigh. "And now... well, now I'm 19. And a criminal."

He looks at me, "Why..-" he stops, trying to think of how to ask it, "Why did you go down a war path?"

I look away, "I was mad. I am mad. They abandoned me for their other family, instead of including me in it. And then I got hurt. Bad. And no one came. I decided then and there that I wasn't going to live up to their expectations. And I wanted payback."

I look at him, and he's at a loss for words. Hundreds of different emotions crossing his face.

"Jesus..." he mumbles, "Well uhm.. atleast we know eachother now."

I nod, "it's a bit late but.. yeah. First impressions weren't so great, huh?" I ask, laughing a bit.

He laughs too, nodding. "Yeah, haha. All that time you knew and you didn't say anything?" He asks.

I shake my head, "I had this plan-" I cut myself off, "Ya know what. It doesn't matter."

He looks at me, raising a eyebrow.

"It doesn't matter." I repeat. If I do get out of here, I might continue my evil plan, and if I do, I cannot have it sabotaged.

"Right..." he mumbled, "Well- uh, yeah. Do you plan on talking to mom and dad at all?" He asks.

"Nope." I shake my head, "I've said all that needs to be said. And apologies won't change what they did. What they caused my life to become."

"Damn. Well, I need to go shower and change, I feel disgusting." He gums, standing up from the couch. I nod.

"Alright, see ya." I wave as he walks off.

——

"Y/n!" A voice calls out. I groan, rolling over a little.

"Y/n, wake the hell up." The voice says again.

I'm violently shaken by the arm. Slowly opening my eyes, I send a death glare at the person in front of me.

"What the hell?" I grumble, sitting up a bit.

Mia laughs a bit, "You've been sleeping for hours. Come on, ya need to get up. We got big belly burger."

I let myself flop back onto the couch, staring at the ceiling, "If we have big belly burger one more time I'm gonna get sick."

She rolls her eyes, "Come on, up." She pulls the blanket off of me. I groan, crossing my arms over my chest.

"God damnit, Y/n, get up!" She chuckles at my childish acts.

She then grabs my arm, pulling me off of the couch, and onto the floor.

"aCK!" I yell, as I collide with the floor.

"What the HELL is wronG WITH YOU!"

She busts out laughing, tossing the blanket back onto the couch.

"Is everything okay?!" Zoe yells, appearing behind the couch. She stares at me, and then Mia who is grinning like a toddler who was given ice cream.

"No..." I mumble, sitting up off the cold floors.

"Yes, everything is perfectly fine." Mia hums, before offering me a hand to get up.

I glare, standing up on my own, "Asshole."

"Aw come onnn, you were doing so good." She crosses her arms over her chest, before walking off. Zoe shakes her head, a smile on her face as she follows Mia. The two girls whisper about something as they step up onto the platform.