Problem child

"Kara?" I asked in confusion. She had this unnerving expression on her face, as if she was happy yet deeply worried.
She looked around the room then stood, "I'm going to go check on Blake." She announced as she shot me a knowing smile, following him out of the door. Everyone in the room looked amongst themselves with a knowing look before they turned to look between myself and Cynn with unease.

"Well the Moon Goddess certainly has a sense of humor." Cynthia spat turning on her heel and walking away, following Kare out of the door.

"What is going on?" I asked feeling irritable. I hated knowing others in the room knew something that I didn't know. 

"I'm not sure but I think"- Roman shot his dad a look and he immediately stopped talking and nodded. He looked at me with sorrow.

I stood deciding to follow Kara. I opened the door and followed the sound of their voices.

"I can't talk to you about this."

"What?" Kara asked sounding hurt. "Why can't you talk to me?"

"She's your sister."

"And you're my best friend. You can talk to me about anything."

"Why would the moon goddess hurt me like that the first time then turn around and give me away to her of all people. Why do I get stuck with shit mates?"

I gasped in pain at the way my heart literally stabbed in pain at his words. It was as if someone lit a flame under my heart. The way he spat when referring to me burned its way through my heart in agony. His eyes found mine. I instantly looked to the floor and turned.

"I'm going back to the tower." Kara walked toward me.

"You have a little over two hours left before the spell"-

"I want to be alone while I can be truly alone." I said cutting her off.

"It was so nice to be able to...be free for a second." Blake didn't speak but he watched our exchange as if he longed to say something. I wanted nothing more than to leave! To cover my face in my pillows and scream.

Mates?

I knew what they were from Kara and Roman. It's supposed to be a love that's so strong you can't help but to follow it.

"I'll have Jesse give you a ride back." She said smiling at me softly. I nodded and turned on my heel away from her and away from Blake. I couldn't contain the silent tears that fell as I walked away. I swayed feeling lightheaded but brushed the feeling off. I walked past the stares of the pack and ignored them as they looked shocked by my tear stained face.  I saw Jesse awaiting by the cart and silently boarded.

I watched as he turned of our original course.
"Where are we going?"

He looked over his shoulder. "I want you to see something."

He drove deeper into the pack, by the "city" where the shops, medical center and schools were. I swallowed as we neared the school. He parked the car near the outdoor play area.  "Look." He spoke pointing to a beautiful brown haired boy playing near the slides. I knew him instantly. I smiled as I watched him play. Oh, how I longed to know him! My nephew.

"He looks so much like Kare." I laughed. "He's so different." I commented watching as he stood out from the other kids. Even though he was playing with them, the way they watched him was a mixture of admiration and intimidation.

"He is." I sighed.

"I almost killed him." I cried feeling myself completely fold and the guilt from what happened came crushing down on me again, making me feel like putty...pathetic putty.