~ Chapter Five ~

The glass shatters sending pieces of it across my face. I sustain a few cuts but nothing serious. Steve turns to me first but I wave him away pointing at Clemson. he has a gun in hand. He fires it off a few times into Dr. Erskine's chest... 

I let out a muffled 'no' as I see Steve lean over the body. Peggy fires a few shots, hitting him in the arm. She helps me up and we go after him together. 

I run out onto the street, momentarily distracted by a car that exploded near-by. But that doesnt stop me from continuing to fire. I shoot the driver in the head. Clemson and the car go hay-wire, crashing into another vehicle parked on teh side of the street. He gets out, commendeering a taxi cab. 

I line up my shots again, firing them off as the vehicle races towards me. From the side, Steve pushes me out of the way before the car runs me over. "I had him!" I yell. Steve gets up and begins to run once again, "Sorry!" 

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Any hope of reproducing the program is locked in your gentic code." I hear Peggy tell Steve. A nurse is bandaging my cuts. "But without Dr. Erskine it will take years." I wave away the nurse looking up. "If it could work on once he would be proud it was you." I reassure him. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Peggy assurts herself into the Colonel and Senator's conversation. They were arguing about shared knowledge of HYDRA. "Hydra is the Nazi deep-science division." She tells them. "It is led by Johann Schmidt. But, he has much bigger amibitions." I somewhat miss the res of the conversation as Steve and I follow Peggy side by side up to the Colonel and Senator. His hand brushes over mine, accidentally, but it made me blush for a moment. 

"We are taking the fight back to HYDRA. Pack your bags, Agents Carter and [your lastname]. You, too, Stark. We're flying to London tonight." 

"Sir? If you're going after Schmidt I want in."

"You're an experiemnt. You're going to Alamogordo." 

"The serum worked." Steve protests. 

"I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough."  Colonel Phillips says no more than that. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sorry there are so many time-skips] 

"Hello, Steve.." I say. Steve turns around looking surprised when he say me,

"Hi."

"Hi"

"What are you doing here?" 

"Officially, I'm not here at all... That was quite a performance." 

"Yeah - uh - had to improvise a little bit. The crowds I'm used to are usually more - uh - twelve.." 

"I understand you're 'America's New Hope'." 

"Bond sales take a 10% bump in every state I visit." Despite that.. good news?.. he doesn't seem enthusiastic. 

"Is that Senator Brandt I hear?" 

"At least he's got me doing this. Phillips would've had me stuck in a lab." 

"And these are your only two options? A lab rat or a dancing monkey? ... You were meant for more than this you know... What?" When he doesn't respond I think i must've said something wrong. 

"You know, for the longest time I dreamed about coming overseas and being on the front lines.. serving my country. I finally got everything I wanted and I'm wearing tights." 

"They look like they've been through hell." Steve says as medical cars pull in with injured soldiers. 

"Theses men more than most. Schmidt sent out a force to Azzano. Two hundred men went up against him, less than fifty returned. Your audience contained what was left of 107th. The rest were killed or captured.." I tell him.

His expression changes to worry, "the 107th?" 

"What?" I ask, confusion bobbling around my head.