~ Chapter Nine ~

Peggy and myself, accompanied by several soldiers run down a hallway. My [select eye color] eyes are lit up by a machine spraying fire down the hall. Peggy grabs a gun and fires it at the flame thrower. It eventually falls to the ground. Peggy rushes off along with the other soldiers while I stand with Steve for a moment. "You're late." I pause for a moment, lost in his grin. 

"Weren't you about to.."

"Right." The last I see of him he is rushing off into mortal danger. 

-------------------------------------------------

Once we managed to get away from the fights. Peggy, Colonel Phillips, and myself find Schmidt's car. We jump into it and drive through a storming battlefield. We stop next to Steve who had been chasing Schmidt's aircraft. 

"Get in!" The Colonel revs the engine as he yells. 

As we race after the airvessel, closing as much we can the rushing winds blows back my hair and it stings my face. I see the hanger door open as Schmidt prepares to take off. Coloenl Phillipes hits some sort of booster button that releases a super charged engine. As we begin to gain on the aircraft Steve sits up on the side of the car. "Keep it steady!" He commands. 

"Wait!" I say, grabbing his arm before he can jump. I pull him into my lips, though I only have the time to sink into him for a moment. "Go get him." I smile as I let Steve go. He looks at Colonel Phillipes for a moment adn when he notices he makes a strange face, "I'm not kissing you." I stifle a giggle as Steve preapres to jump into the aircraft. 

Steve jumps onto the tire of the plane. As he does the car lurches sideways as Colonel Phillipes twists the wheel. Peggy and I stand up in our seats watching him go. 

"We need to get back!" I say, neither one challenges, silently agreeing. 

---------------------------------------------

I race down the halls of Starks department, looking for somewhere I could contact Steve.  

"Come in this is Captain Rogers, do you read me?" I hear a crackle come over the radio bringing my attention instantly. "Captain Rogers what is your-" I don't allow the man to finish before I push him out of the way. "Steve is that you? Are you alright?" I neglect to hide the worry in my voice. "Y/N, Schmidt's dead!" He tells me. "What about the plane?" I ask. "That's a little bit tougher to explain." 

'Give me your coordinates, I'll find you a safe landing site." I say, frantically looking through the map. "There's not going to be a safe landing. But I can try and force it down." He says. 

"I'll get Howard on the line. He'll know what to do." 

"There's not enough time. This things moving too fast and it's heading for New York." 

My heart feels as though it is being ripped out of my chest as tears fight there way into my eyes. 

"I gotta put her in the water." 

"Please, don't do this. We have time. We can work it out." 

"Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer a lot of people are gonna die." 

I have no words to respond. 

"Y/N.. This is my choice." His voice seems to waver. 

"Y/N?" He seems to think I would leave. 

"I'm here." 

"I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance." 

"Alright." The tears begin to fall down my cheeks. "A week, next Saturday, at the Stork Club."

"You got it." 

"8:00 on the dot, don't you dare be late. Understood." 

"You know, I still don't know how to dance." 

"I'll show you how. Just be there." A small smile finds it's way across my face.

"Well, have the band play something slow. I'd hate to step on your-" 

Nothing.. Gone.. The radio went dead and static - ie. 

"Steve?" My voice wavers as my heart shatters. Peggy walks over and rubs my back comfortingly as I drop my head into my hands. "Steve?" I ask again, hoping that I would receive a reply. "Steve?" My heart fall apart the more I sit there and wait. 

-----------------------------------------------

As he passes, Phillipes hands me a file. 

INACTIVE : Steve Rogers

I open it with a smile, stopping to admire and images of him pre- serum.