~ Chapter Eight ~

All the music and celebration fades away as Peggy and I enter the bar. Though I epected none different. She did look stunning in her red skin-tight dress. Though I decided to wear my [favourite kind of casual dress] because One - It is my favourite dress and Two - It is my favourite colour. What more could I ask for? 

We approach Steve and Sergeant Barnes drinking together. They turn around. "Captain." Peggy greets Steve. "Agent Carter." He replies. We simply exchange smiles. "Ma'am 's." Sergeant Barnes greets us. I nod to him but Peggy is cutting to the chase. "Howard has some equipment for you to try. Tomorrow morning?" She tells Steve, more than anything. "Sounds good." 

"I see your top squad is prepping for duty?" I chime in. "You don't like music?" Sergeant Barnes asks me. "I do, actually. I might even, when this is all over, go dancing." I tell them, a smile appearing on my face. "Then what are we waiting for?" I don't even for a moment break eye contact with Steve when I say, 

"The right partner."

"0800 Captain." Peggy leads me off. Over my shoulder I hear Steve say he'll be there. 

-------------------------------------------------------

"Y/N, fetch Captain Rogers. Please." Peggy says as she looks into more files. "Of course." I say, walking down the hall to the waiting area surrounded by desk. I look around a bookshelf to see... well I'll tell you what. Bastard! He had his lips wrapped onto another woman. 

"Captian!" He pulls away from her suddenly noticing me standing there. "We're ready for you, if you're not already otherwise occupied." I tell him sternly, not waiting for him before  I begin to walk away. 

"Agent [your lastname], wait." He jogs after me. "Looks like finding a partner wasn't that hard after all." I continue to walk without looking at him. 

"Y/N, that's not what you thought it was." He tells me. 

"I don't think anything, Captain, not one thing." I turn my head slightly, still avoiding his gaze. "You wanted to be a soldier and now you are. Just like all the rest." 

"Well, what about you and Stark? How do you I know you guys haven't been.. Fondue - ing?" He stops in his tracks. I turn around for a few moments before turning back around and walking once again. "You still don't know a bloody thing about women." 

---------------------------------------------------------

"Are you quite finished Mr. Stark?" I asked walking in, Peggy close behind. "I'm sure the Captain has some unfinished buisness." She says, hinting that I told her what I saw. 

"What do you think?" He asks me, holding up a circular metal shield. I pick up teh nearest thing I can find, which happens to be a gun, and fire a few shots off at the shield. I sigh almost sounding dissapointed, "Yes, I think it works." I turn around and Peggy and I walk off. "Unfortunatley." She mumbles to me, at which point I cover my mouth to stifle a chuckle. 

------------------------------------------------------

During the course of the past week Captain Rogers has taken his team of soldiers and taken out every HYDRA base on our map. At this point Peggy, Colonel Phillips, and myself are watching a film of the whole predicament. 

I shift to get comfortable in my seat as we watch. My chest tightens every time.. Steve.. gets injured. This scene was rather peacefult though. They were riding a vehicle adn making a plan, all tucked together, leaning over a map. But in the crevase of his compass is an image..

An image of me.. 

Colonel Philpes throws me a knowing glance that I swiftly wave away.