Chapter 3: Smokescreen

I sat down on my bed and sighed. Who was that? I thought. When I returned home from the store, I didn't have any effort to cook what I had planned. I embarrassed myself yet again. How much clumsier could I get? I rubbed my temples, I was probably never going to see that beautiful stranger again anyways. It's New York. Too congested for that.

I lay down on my bed, feet planted to the ground and arms splayed out on the mattress. I thought back at the man I saw earlier. I was entranced. He had the most startling green eyes, almost teal in shade. Reminding me of the sea, the kind you saw in pictures in Bali. Bright and deep, gentle but passionate, serene yet powerful. His brown hair was packed loosely in a bun, while wisps of his locks framed his sharp features perfectly. "Beautiful," I whispered.

How could I still be thinking about him? It's been an hour since I got back. The encounter was sweet but short lived. I sat back up and placed the man to the back of my mind. I needed to unpack and settle in. First night in New York and I was caught up in the city life already. Dragging my suitcase to the centre of the room, I began to unpack. Placing all my clothes into the closet. It wasn't walk-in per se, but it was a miniature room, large enough for me to fit inside to hang everything up.

After finishing hanging up the last pair of jeans, I felt the lightwood of the furniture happily and turned around. Walking out of the closet, I shut the door of my closet gently. It closed with a soft thud.

At my desk, I grabbed my textbooks and placed them on the shelf integrated in the desk, as well a picture of my family in a frame.

(Imagine, the mirror is square and fits the whole back panel, and it's a spinny chair not a stool loll 😝)

In the corner of my room, I had splayed out Zeus' bed, and he was snoozing peacefully. I took out all my makeup and skincare bags and placed them in the drawers at my desk. My undergarments were folded neatly in the dresser beside my closet. 

Satisfied with how my room was at the moment, I took my MacBook out as well as my charger and placed it on my side-table. Finally, I closed my suitcases and kicked it underneath the bed. As I leaped on to my bed, sprawling on to the soft sheets face down, I began to relax. I let my mind wander to my parents and what they were doing at the moment, and to the unforgettable man I had seen earlier. His elegant face flashed in my mind. I was unsure of when I fell asleep, but slowly, I drifted off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke the next morning to the sound of shouting in the kitchen.

"Hitch?! What the flying fuck do you think you're doing?" Alec screamed in panic. I lifted my head up sniffing the air. The dumb bitch was burning something. Sitting up quickly, I stretched and popped my neck back before sprinting out my bedroom door and into the kitchen. Black fumes came at me in waves.