Sickness and Solitude

Klaus forced his eyes to stay open as he glanced at Y/N, who was still asleep, the sunlight streaming across her bed indicating that it was already much later than she would usually sleep in. Resting his head back against the cushioned wingback chair he was curled up in, Klaus began to doze off again before noticing Y/N stir slightly. With a small groan of discomfort, she opened her own eyes, and spotted Klaus in the corner of her room; after gazing at him for a moment as he paled from embarrassment, her brain seemed to suddenly jolt awake, and she quickly sat up.

"What the-"

"I'm so sorry, you passed out last night and I just wanted to make sure you were alright." Klaus quickly apologized, defensively holding up his hands.

Y/N frowned a bit, coughing painfully before laying her head back on the pillows. "Well, I feel absolutely terrible, if that's what you're going to ask." She responded dryly. "Thank you for checking in on me, but I'll be fine. It's not the first time that's happened."

Klaus shook his head and creased his brow. "You're sick. We've already called for a doctor to come look at you later today."

"What?" Y/N sat up again, sounding almost upset. "I'm not sick, and I don't have time for a doctor." She picked up the alarm clock on her nightstand, sighing exasperatedly and running her hands through her hair with distress. "I've gotten up much too late, I've lost so much time."

"I think you're overworking yourself." Klaus got up from the chair and went to stand beside her bed, tilting his head with concern. "You're not getting enough sleep."

"Oh, who made you the doctor?" Y/N grumbled, burying her face into the pillows as Klaus laughed a little.

"You know I'm right Y/N. Why else would you fall ill so suddenly like this?"

"I don't even have the energy to form a coherent argument, clever boy." Y/N huffed, voice muffled.

"That's a first." Klaus chuckled again, then allowed his voice to become more serious as he asked, "When's the last time you've eaten anything?"

Y/N hesitated, then slowly lifted her head to look at him for a minute, before blushing sheepishly and covering her face once more as Klaus sighed.

"I figured you'd sacrifice meals for the sake of your work. Well," he gestured to her nightstand, "We brought you some breakfast."

Y/N lifted her head from the pillows and sat up again, glancing at the large silver platter piled with pancakes and bacon beside her bed, then up at Klaus. "I can't eat that."

"W-What do you mean? Are you vegan? Do you want us to have something else made for you, or-"

"I'm going to throw up." Y/N mused nonchalantly, sliding the tray onto her lap and glancing over the food with a grimace. "What little I've tried to eat these past few days doesn't stay down."

"Well, then..." Klaus bit his lip, "We'll get you some porridge, or soup, or something for you to eat. You have to eat something, Y/N, or you're just going to keep passing out."

Y/N frowned and wrinkled her nose with distaste. "You sound like a parent."

Klaus sighed again. "You can't complain about losing time if you continue to treat yourself like this. You're not going to get better if you refuse to take care of yourself."

Y/N grumbled incoherently, rolling her eyes. "D'Angelo is going to slit my throat."

"No, he won't." Klaus frowned determinedly. "We'll talk to him and get everything sorted out. If he bothers you, we'll take care of that too."

Y/N glanced at the young prince's concerned face, then turned her stare back at the food before her, too tired to argue. Instead, she decided to ask, "Have you had breakfast yet?"