Utopia and Unease

"Miss Y/N! Oh, joyus day..."

"How dramatic." Y/N laughed, but smiled as Mr. Atkinson pulled her into a hug.

"Apologies, Pierre," the baker nodded to Klaus, and Y/N was once again reminded of his little made-up name with a small giggle, "We are more than grateful for your service, but Y/N makes us ever so worried at times."

"Completely understandable," Klaus glanced at the painter, who blushed and rolled her eyes.

"I'm just fine though, see?" Y/N beamed, and Atkinson raised an eyebrow.

"Ye got a big bruise on your face."

"Eh-"

"And Pierre here with his cast! You two just attract trouble, don't ye?"

"Every action has its equal and opposite reaction," Y/N dismissively waved her hand, not wanting to dwell on how the pair received their injuries; there were more pressing matters at hand anyways. "Now, the usual- but I have a few more requests." She wandered along the shelves of sweets, picking out an excessive number of cakes and breads. "Just something extra. I feel a bit bad that I have been gone for so long."

"Pierre is holding out just fine- the people will get their food, and I will get my pay, no matter what- I think you have made sure of that."

Klaus smiled and nodded in agreement as Y/N's eyes sheepishly flirted away.

"I know- but I just want to bring them something more this time."

"Alright, who am I to stop you?" The baker took the sweets and arranged everything in crates, Y/N handing him the money before placing the boxes in a small wagon.

"Thank you so much," she beamed, pushing the door open with her shoulder, "But we really should be going."

"Ah, always in a hurry-" Atkinson smiled and waved back, "Well, thank you for your business."

"Always." The painter assured him with a wave back.

***

Y/N was on a mission.

Or at least that is how it looked to the prince as he watched her, every stride made with determination, eyes on a set path without wandering towards every little thing she had once found such joy in.

"The garden, the garden," she said, once Klaus had caught up enough to remain in her limited earshot, "How is it? Do you know?"

"I believe it is doing well, constructed with a few things planted at the very least- we still have to get a few more seeds and starts..."

"Hm." Y/N nodded. "There must be other things to do... we shall brainstorm over these next few days," her brow was furrowed, and Klaus could tell the gears in her head were turning fast, prompted by the exhilaration of leaving the palace grounds. "Clothing. We must provide more clothing- sewing supplies, to mend clothing... more resources to better housing- knowledge on how to repair various things so they may be more structurally sound..."

"There are a few carpenters and handymen in town that I am sure we could learn from to pass on the information- and I can request for our seamstress to bring extra thread and such." Klaus piped up, and Y/N nodded once more.

"Mm, a good start." But her mind seemed to be thinking of too many things at once, the subtle anxiety in her chest beginning to steadily grow.

"Y/N-" Klaus gently reached for her hand, and she stopped and turned to him. "I know you have not left the palace in a while, but you must calm down."

"I know, I'm sorry... but so much can change in the span of a few weeks, for better or for worse."

"Yes, angel, but take things one step at a time; we shall visit the neighborhoods you usually do, see how they are, and go from there, alright?" He squinted a bit, as if to further analyze the root of her apprehensive state. "And you have not abandoned them, if that is what is on your mind- the people. You did all that you could possibly have done when you were confined."