Confusion and Conflict

"Violet, do you remember any of Mother and Father's friends?"

Violet raised a row, looking up from her book on privy councils. "I daresay you should too, Klaus. You were not quite so young when they would have their friends come to stay."

Klaus hesitated, tapping his fingers against his leg in thought. "Yes," he agreed slowly, "I just... need some clarification as to what the profession of one of them was."

***

"Ms. L/N?"

The painter stumbled from her bed, brushing her hair away and rubbing her face. "Hm?" She opened her bedroom door, tilting her head with perplexity as a smiling man with kind eyes gazed back at her.

"Good morning Madam. I bring a letter from his Highness." The man handed her a creamy white envelope as if there was nothing out of the ordinary, continuing to smile as Y/N frowned, more confused than before. 

"Excuse me?" 

"What seems to be the problem Madam?"

"I-I'm sorry, that was rude of me," she shook her head, asking, "May I ask who you are?"

"Ah! Yes, I suppose I should be the one apologizing." He held out a white gloved hand for the painter to shake. "I am your new guard. You may call me Gustav- no need for any formalities such as last names. If you need anything, you may simply ask me."

"Er, hello... Gustav." Y/N slowly shook his hand, her perplexity still plastered all over her tired face; but she offered a smile, nodding her head. "Thank you for the letter. Excuse me." She closed the door, standing before it in a daze for a moment. A new guard? And what a curious sort of attitude... sighing and shaking herself from her trance, she broke the delicate lavender wax seal of the letter, pulling a piece of parchment in Klaus' familiar cursive from the envelope.

Dear Y/N, 

Meet me in the garden for breakfast this morning, won't you? By the river's edge- it is a lovely day, and I shall not let you begin your work until you have joined me, or given a rightful excuse as to why you are unable to.

- Love, his Majesty

This did not help Y/N's state in the slightest.

Still, she figured she would simply get ready, then go from there. Shifting around her wardrobe, she decided on a new dress from Klaus' latest period of indulgence, then put a bit of time into doing her hair; whether or not she could make it outside, she figured she might as well put a bit of effort in, given the extra time before she got to work. Once she was finally ready, her sketchbook and pencils tucked into a basket, Y/N paused for a moment as she reached for her door handle. What next?

Taking a deep breath, Y/N opened the door, and Gustav, still standing where he was before, attentively turned to her. 

"What can I do for you Madam?"

"Er..." Y/N nervously fiddled with the letter in her hand, attempting to explain the situation at hand. "His Highness... would like to see me."

"Ah, of course! I shall have to accompany you, I'm sure you understand... now, where might he be?"

Blinking for a moment, Y/N cleared her throat and replied, "The gardens, somewhere along the river bank."

"Good day for a walk outside." Gustav nodded, taking off down the hall. "Right this way, Ms. L/N!"

But the painter did not move from the doorway.

"Ms. L/N?"

"I- I can just... leave?"