Sunlight and Serendipity

Sorry, this chapter is a bit long and all over the place, more of a filler; I think the next one I will be a bit better. 😅

***

Klaus and Y/N's garden strolls became a daily routine, and whenever Y/N was confined to bed, Klaus was there to bring her meals, books, and tea, and the two would spend hours discussing everything from literature to Klaus' research; Klaus even went to town twice a week on Y/N's behalf to bring food to everyone, which Y/N was eternally grateful for.

"I hope you'll find a way to continue helping your people when I'm gone." She had told him one day, smiling proudly. "You'll think of something, clever boy."

But of course, the painter had to get better at some point, and after a few weeks, she was back in the ballroom- admittedly, with more reluctance than she had anticipated; as much as her anxiety fueled her need to continue her work, she missed spending time with the young prince.

***

"Y/N, I brought you some lunch..." Klaus gently set the tray of food on the first level of the scaffolding and peered up at the artist. "Are you feeling alright today?"

"I'm feeling fine enough." She replied, beginning to clean out her brushes.

"Alright. It would be a disaster if you passed out from that height." Klaus chuckled, and Y/N rolled her eyes with a smile.

"I haven't passed out in two weeks Klaus."

"Well, why don't you come down and eat so that you can keep that streak going, hm? I know you won't eat unless I bring you something."

"Must you be so impatient?" Y/N retorted playfully as she tucked her sketchbook under her arm before finally beginning to climb down the ladder. But instead of immediately joining Klaus by the makeshift picnic-like display of food he had set out as she normally would, she sighed heavily, gazing up at the ceiling as her smile faded.

"Y/N? Are you alright?"

Y/N laid down on the back, continuing to scrutinize her work above her. "Come look." She 

instructed, patting the ballroom floor beside her, and Klaus lay next to her to look at the ceiling.

"It looks beautiful already." Klaus praised sincerely, but the painter wrinkled her nose with doubt.

"I've been actively avoiding starting Sunny's portrait." She mused with another sigh. "I don't want to ruin it."

"Well, the sketch looks amazing." Klaus encouraged. "She's going to love it." He smiled a little, turning his head to look at the painter. "We all will."

But Y/N just sat up and ran her fingers through her hair, Klaus sitting up beside her with concern.

"You mustn't stress too much Y/N. Not again."

"I know, I know." She opened her sketchbook and began refining the multiple rough portraits of Sunny she had made over the past few months.

"Sunny seems really attached to you." Klaus noted, changing the subject as he set a few sandwiches on a porcelain plate and placed it before his friend.

Y/N smiled to herself, continuing with her drawings. "What a darling child she is." She said affectionately. "How innocent."

"Do you find that intriguing?" Klaus realized. "Innocence in an aristocrat?"

"Hm..." Y/N turned to a new page, still not looking up, "Yes, admittedly so. What shall her future be? I hope things will be different for her- I hope she will not have to step into such a broken world. Although," she finally glanced up at Klaus as she added, "I did not expect her siblings to be so blissfully innocent either."