Pandering and Perplexity

"Good evening, Y/N."

Y/N laughed a little as she stepped from Klaus' balcony into the prince's arms. "It's almost as if I haven't been in the same room as you all day." She joked, Klaus chuckling and planting a kiss on her head.

"Am I not allowed to smother you in affection each time I see you?" Klaus mused, pulling away slightly with a smile as the painter rolled her eyes.

"Ah, well, it's not as if I'd ever tell you to stop."

"Then I shan't." With another kiss on her cheek, Klaus' smile slipped a bit from his face. "How are you feeling?"

"Hm?"

"How are you feeling?" Klaus repeated, a bit louder.

"Hm," Y/N's hand subconsciously drifted to her ear, tugging at it in contemplation. "Alright, I think. Just a bit of... buzzing here and there, and the pain is minimal."

Klaus nodded slightly, following Y/N as she sat down on his bed. "Do you plan to stay the night?" He asked hopefully, sitting beside her.

"Mm hm." Y/N smiled a little again, leaning against Klaus, with Klaus wrapping his arm around her shoulder; the two stared out the window at the night sky for a moment, until Klaus felt Y/N's head drooping against his chest, her eyes struggling to stay open.

"Why don't you get to sleep?" He instructed gently, gesturing to the pillows, where Y/N gratefully lay her head before Klaus stood to lock the window and draw the curtains shut. "Oh, Y/N? One last thing-"

"Hm?"

"Don't go rushing off first thing in the morning if you don't have to." He whispered as he lay beside her, resting his hand on her cheek. "Stay for a bit, will you?"

"Mm, alright your Highness." Y/N agreed, nodding off to sleep again.

"Alright, goodnight Y/N. See you tomorrow."

***

"- Oh, yes, he's been coughing all night..."

Y/N opened her eyes, squinting a bit through the sunlight before spotting Klaus sitting up, watching the door as it opened and someone walked in.

"Is that... Violet?" Y/N asked drowsily, not fully comprehending the situation, nor whether she should hide or say as she was.

"Ah, Y/N! Good morning Angel." Klaus turned and smiled at her, rubbing her arm. "Yes, it's Violet- and a doctor."

"What?" Y/N sat up, brushing her hair out of her face as Klaus turned back to the door, where Violet seemed to be concocting some sort of lie about her brother falling prey to a mysterious illness until the door was closed and the two were closer to the bed.

"Well..." the doctor paused as he inspected Klaus. "He looks quite alright to me."

"Er, yes, you see-" Klaus got to his feet, sheepishly tugging at his fingers, "I am just fine. But I have someone in need of medical attention who... has not been allowed to receive said attention." He gestured to Y/N, who glanced between him and the doctor, slowly piecing together what was happening.

"Oh, oh no, I really just-"

"I remember you." The doctor interrupted, "The painter girl who fell ill from overworking-" he side-eyed Klaus, adding, "And the girl who never left his Highness' side while he was recovering from his bullet wound."

Klaus blushed, averting his eyes as he nodded. "That's her, sir. But-"

"And you said she's not allowed to be treated? Are you trying to cost me my job?"