Suspicion and Speculation

Y/N paced the floor of Klaus' room, and Klaus sat idly on his bed nearby, the two lost in their respective thoughts. 

Finally, Klaus quietly said, "Do you think they... killed them?"

Y/N stopped, pressing her lips together before glancing at Klaus with the slight pity in her eyes that Klaus had grown used to. "I did not want to say anything," was all she replied with. 

Klaus had paled a little, eyes trailed upon his bedroom carpet; Y/N sank into the mattress beside him, exhaling. 

"It happens," she said. "Death is not necessarily a joyous occasion, it is only that..." she struggled to put her opinions into words, phrases diluted enough for Klaus' ears; but he only shook his head before she could say more. 

"I know; I do not mourn the loss of the guards- I suppose it is still so..." he gestured aimlessly.

"Real?" Y/N offered, and he nodded.

"I suppose. But... death is necessary, in a revolution, at times." He concluded. "And it is a good thing, really, that the people are making the change that they wish to make."

"Mm hm." Y/N fully agreed, but laced her fingers with Klaus', still feeling them tremble ever so slightly beneath hers; she added, softly, "It takes time to get used to- I am not used to it, sometimes. It is alright if it makes you uneasy; do not expect yourself to be strong about this right away."

Taking a few breaths, Klaus nodded, then asked, hesitant, unwilling to know the true answer, "You do not think all of the graves are those of the guards, do you?"

The painter slowly shook her head, heavy with remorse. "I did not want to mention that yet either- but now that you have brought it into the open..." her eyes stung, jaw tightening in an attempt to keep her lip from quivering. "I know they have chosen this- I only wish that we did not have to live in a world where some must be willing to choose death in order for things to be right." 

Klaus silently pulled her into his arms, and her tense frame crumbled in his embrace; she remained quiet, but Klaus could feel her tears slipping onto the crook of his neck. He did nothing but rub her back, stroke her hair, press his lips to her head- and Y/N was grateful for the way he knew to stay quiet when there was nothing to say. 

***

Y/N was restless that night, mind wandering as her body, exhausted, insisted on rest; her vision was foggy and her thoughts incoherent when she awoke the next morning, so lethargic that it took her a moment to realize Klaus was sitting on the edge of her bed. 

She mumbled something, some confused greeting, as she squinted at the prince, who was pouring a cup of tea on the tray before him. 

He glanced up at her, offering a slight smile. "Good morning, Y/N." He replied, his own voice weary. "You didn't get much sleep, I take it?" 

Y/N shook her head. "I don't think I feel asleep until four this morning." She admitted sluggishly, tilting her head when Klaus pushed the breakfast tray towards her. Blinking for a moment, she picked up a glass of water and drained it before slowly starting on the food without complaint. It was simple: eggs, cheese, tomatoes, bread with jelly and butter. 

"How are you feeling?" Klaus pressed gently, after letting her eat uninterrupted for a few minutes. 

"Fine, I suppose." The tea and food had woken her up a bit by now, the bright morning forcing her eyes to adjust. "A little tired, but I am alright."

Klaus nodded. "Alright, then."

"How are you, Klaus?"

"I'm alright too, I think."