Drowsiness and Disruptions

"You alright?"

Klaus turned to Y/N as she set her empty tea cup down and rested her head on his shoulder, gazing up at him with concern.

"Y-Yeah, I'm alright." He smiled a little, reaching for one of the books on his nightstand. "l haven't read since I've been fully conscious- I've been so preoccupied with other thoughts, I'd even forgot my fondest form of escapism."

After noticing him struggle a bit to hold the book open and turn the pages with one hand, Y/N gently took the book and held it open for him, and the prince smiled gratefully.

"Can you read out loud?" Y/N requested, almost shyly, after another moment. "Only if you want to-"

"Of course!"

And so Klaus proceeded to read to her, chapter after chapter until the sun had set and the day was over; for a moment, time had no relevance to the couple, and they were more than fine with that.

***

"Having trouble sleeping?"

Y/N jumped a bit, but relaxed as Klaus sat up; she shrugged. "I'll fall asleep soon."

"We went to bed two hours ago."

"What? No we..." Y/N glanced at the clock, then sighed. "We did, didn't we."

Klaus took her hand and gently tugged her back into bed. "Are you getting paranoid?" He whispered, and Y/N avoided his gaze for a moment.

"I don't believe so. Too much tea before bed, perhaps."

"Violet told me that when I was... unconscious, you stayed in that chair the whole time, and hardly slept or ate." Klaus smiled softly, shaking his head, and Y/N groaned and buried her face in the crook of his neck.

"Violet did not have to tattle on me so." She huffed, voice softening as she added, somewhat as an afterthought, "I just wanted to be there when you woke up."

"Violet also told me that you had begun to get startled easily; you didn't much like people coming in and out of the room."

"I was just tired." The painter lied.

"I saw your face when I woke up, and I've seen how you are now at night. You looked as through you had not slept in days, and I can only assume why." Klaus sighed a little. "What a nervous pair we are."

Y/N finally caved in and nodded with a small chuckle. "I'm sorry. I don't think I could do much to protect you anyways."

"It is not your job to protect me Y/N- and I shall not have you losing sleep over such a thing."

"I know, I know, but..." the painter struggled to put her concern into words, sighing and saying, "You are not so innocent of feeling the need to protect those you have no obligation to care for either."

"Hm, touché." Klaus laughed a little, shaking his head, then became serious again. "I suppose I cannot tell you to rest if I cannot do the same either."

"We could take turns, sleep in shifts." Y/N offered, and Klaus shook his head once more.

"We needn't over complicate something as simple as sleep. There are guards outside, and locks on the windows..."

"That does not do much for my nerves." Y/N admitted, and Klaus could only agree.

"No, it does not." He took another deep breath as Y/N nestled herself close to his chest, pulling him into a hug.

"We shall get sleep eventually."

"I suppose we shall."

But after a moment of silence, the two remained wide awake.