The Jigsaw Puzzle

It was a nice cool clear summer day. The sky was a soft blue with few big clouds to block the sun for a minute every now and then, the breeze against my skin was crisp and fresh. I love summer, it gives me so much free time and there are beautiful days like this!

Hi! I'm Jane. I'm 18 and live in an apartment on the third floor on my own. It's a small city where I live so it's not too busy or noisy. Today I planned on going antique shopping at the old store I pass by every day on my way to work. I love antiques and I have nothing else to do today so I thought I might as well check it out.

When I got there the bell on the door chimed to announce my presence as I opened it and walked in. The place had that good old book smell and looked just how you'd imagine a shop to look in maybe the late 1800's. I loved it immediately. I looked around at the various trinkets and things on display. There was a silver pocket watch next to a small silver locket in a glass case. 'Awe cute, his and her items.' But what really caught my eye as I looked around wasn't anything expensive like that.

At the back of the store on a shelf behind the clerks desk there was a box. Nothing too special just what seemed to be a coverless cardboard puzzle box. That's weird, usually they had covers. It didn't look worn either just dusty like it was sitting there for a while. It had "puzzle 200 pieces" written neatly on the front in black marker, or at least that's my guess of the writing utensil used for it.

The clerk behind the counter caught me staring at it and gave a smile with a soft chuckle "Are you a fan of puzzles, young miss?" He asked. He looked to be In about his 50's. His hair was starting to thin a little but it was still a thick chocolate brown, his eyes looked kind of tired but still a joyful emerald green. You don't see green eyes too often. He looked like he belonged here in this shop, it suits his aesthetic I guess. He wore a casual looking suit that was a bit wrinkled, almost like he was an old book himself.

"I am actually." I nodded in response to his question. I did enjoy puzzles, but I'm not the type to frame them once completed. Well I had one but that was from a puzzle competition back in elementary. I liked puzzles because they're a great way to pass the time, especially great for a summer activity when all your friends are out on vacation.

He nodded and took down the box. "You're my first customer in a while so I'll give you a discount." He told me generously. 

"Wow, really?" I blinked in amazement. Was it because it's summer that hardly anyone was coming in? He gave me an honest smile and nodded again, ringing up an antique cash register. I'd be surprised if he had a more modern one, it would stand out a lot in this cute little shop of his.

He set the box down on the counter, punching it a little towards me and giving me the total. I took out some change from my purse I had hanging over my shoulder and counted it before putting the exact amount in his hand. "Thanks" I smiled back at him quite happily. He smiled back and waved as I left with the puzzle box. By the time I was halfway home I realized I hadn't asked what the puzzle looked like. I guess I'd have to find out on my own once it was finished. I don't think I'll work on it as soon as I get home though, I have to feed Gray.

I got back to my apartment and locked the door behind me like usual. It's not that I'm paranoid of break ins or anything, it's that it's a rule in this building. We never have any cases of break ins or anything and haven't in the past as far as I'm aware of so I'm not sure with it's a rule really.

I set the puzzle box on the coffee table in the living room after taking off my shoes at the door. I left my purse next to it and went to the kitchen. I grabbed a small pill like bottle from the counter and started getting Gray's food ready. You might be wondering who gray is and well, he's my baby. Another rule here is no pets allowed and I just had to secretly break that one. So I got Gray recently. He's a guppy beta Fish and his bowl in the bath room. It's the best place I could think of and he doesn't mind the dark or the light.