The Black Spot

What use is a black spot on the wall? maybe i could use it to annoy someone when theyre cleaning or something but how in the world would that get me anywhere?

I sigh as i stare at the black spot on my bedroom wall i just made. it was small, just big enough to hide under my thumb. Whats the point of mastering a spell like this? and how would i know when its mastered?

I tried casting the spell again, this time the black spot was a little bigger, next to the first, and weirdly shaped. The more i tried the more the black spot came out just a little bigger and just a little rounder.

"maybe i'll have mastered it if i can make the black spot a perfectly round circle on the wall? whats the point of this spell though??" i groaned and frustratedly threw magic at a blank space on the apposite wall of my room, casting the spell one last time with my eyes squinted shut in anger.

dropping the tension in my body i opened my eyes to see the spot on my wall i just cast...was not just a spot on the wall. it was much bigger than the others and...it looked like i was staring into an opening to the void!

have i...created a portal or something?

just then something fell from above and landed at my feet. a spell scroll with a note attached. the note read "congratulations on mastering your first spell"

[prompt: When a mage is awakened, they acquire one spell and must master all its forms before they acquire another. While every spell starts trivial and grows in power over time, yours appears especially useless: The ability to create a black spot on the wall.]

hilariously this was written before the new spider verse movie and i never knew "the spot" existed.