20

"Prepare yourselves, the chances of her waking up are not high"

Those words echoed in kenmas ears. "Dont get your hopes"

Hope. A toxic disgusting thing, that somehow creeps into you just to cause pain.

He sat in a chair next to your bed. He sat in silence. The heart monitor and the breathing machine filling his ears. His eyes were red and puffed from crying.

"Visiting hours are over" the nurse said gently. Kenma got up and walked out. He walked the streets back home. Except somehow instead of going to his home he went to yours. He knocked on the door not even knowing exactly why he was there.

"Can I get something" he said to your mom after she opened the door. She nodded and Kenma walked to your room. He opened the door, your smell filling his nostrils. He looked around as a few tears streamed down his face. When he found what he was looking for it felt like a piece if him was smashed.

That book. The one you've read to him a million times. He read the first few sentences then.

He fell apart.

He sobbed into his hands. He knew that the chances of you waking up were barely there. He cried for hours. He didn't care that this wasn't his house.

He fell asleep eventually. When he woke up it was early morning. He quietly left and walked to the hospital. He made his way to your room. He sat down on the chair. His leg bounced up and down as he gripped the book in his hands tightly.

"I remember the first time I saw you, If somebody told me this is how we would end up, I'd laugh because how could the universe give us to each other just to rip us apart? How did everything go from being happy and ok to this? To you lying in a hospital bed hooked up to machines to stay alive. I'm guessing it's because not all stories have happy endings, even if we do desperately wish they did. Why would the universe make you live and then take it away. Was it because it was to easy? To happy of an ending? Is it the universes version of a sick joke? I don't know. The only thing I know is that everything was okay and now, now it's not."

He said his eyes glossy. He wiped a tear off his cheek and spoke again.

"I love you. I love you so much it's painful. It's painful loving you this much when your about to die." He said.

Then he opened the book he had brought and read it. He read to you as you once did for him. Tears streamed down his face knowing he'd never hear your voice again. Knowing he'd never make another memory with you. Knowing that, he truly could never love somebody the way he loved you.

You were in all senses of the word unforgettable.

Yet, he wished you were. Then maybe it wouldn't be as painful.

He wished he'd never met you.

Then he'd remember you and he'd be happy he did.