letters from nora

imagine: you found a photo strip of edmund and his former flame, nora daniels

TRIGGER WARNING: miscarriage, brief mentions of abortion, sex before marriage, and death.

   I had been in the hospital for four months when I'd met Edmund Pevensie. He had been there for some reason, although he had never told me why. It was June then.

   We fell in love rather quickly and I knew he was the one after two weeks. I got out of the hospital in mid-July and we got an apartment together in the city. And Edmund and I were happy.

   One evening when I was going through our closet trying to find one of his dress shirts that needed dry cleaning, a box fell from one of the shelves and knocked to the ground. Edmund called from the living room and asked if I was alright, and I called back and said I was fine. I picked the box up, which I noticed seemed pretty old. 

   I removed the top of the box and saw there were several knick-knacks, photos, and other keepsakes in the box. I pulled out a letter first. It read:

Dear Ed,

           I miss you like crazy. Mum has started making me take these stupid pills for my pain and has made me take almost daily visits to the clinic. She swears I'm pregnant no matter how many times I explain we always use protection. I hope you laughed at that because I know you always used to.

          How's the university? Mum says I'll never make it to university because I'm a stupid you know what. I'm sure you've met marvelous people and had wonderful experiences already. I just wish you were here right now. We'd still be driving around town and making fun of everybody we see while we're out.

          What I wouldn't give to be nineteen like you and get out of this town. We've still got our wedding to plan, and that keeps me going. It's getting pretty late. I love you, Edmund.

Love, 

          Nora 

My heart sank and so I grabbed another letter, hoping it would get better. That's when I noticed it. There was a date. It was from two years ago. I didn't understand at first, but then I did and I began to cry as I continued to read her letters.

September 21st, 2019

Dear Ed,