February 23, 1941

It was cold for a Hawaiian morning. Grace found herself wrapped in a scarf, hiding her pale arms from the cold chill.

                “I can’t believe he actually did it.” Grace’s brother, Harvey, laughed. He stood strong, trying to keep himself from shivering. His blond hair was moist with morning dew, and his blue eyes were hazy with sleep. Marvin reflected his elder brother, but he had brought a jacket to keep in the warmth.

                Grace smiled idly, excitement filling her chest. It had been two years since she had seen any of her family, and her younger brother, Wesley, had finally been accepted to join his siblings.

                “I’ll be honest, I never thought he’d pass.” Marvin grinned.

                Grace rolled her eyes. “If there was anyone who wasn’t going to pass, it was you.”

                “Yeah, and look where you are.” Harvey laughed, his voice betraying his warmth.

                “Guys, look!” Grace raised her arm to point to the horizon, knocking the scarf off of her shoulder, revealing her white uniform. A ship was nearing the dock. “Finally.”

                Harvey’s tense shoulders dropped. Grace sympathized with him. It had been six years since he had been deployed. Six years without his parents and younger siblings. He was the first of the family to join, followed a year later by Marvin, and three years later by Grace.

                “Besides,” Grace turned back to her brothers, “Wes was always one of the smartest. He went to college before enrolling, so he’s in a higher class than either of you.”

                “Not all of us could get accepted into college,” Marvin said defensively.

                Grace grinned, knowing she had been lucky to go to college.

                A brisk breeze swept over the dock, causing Harvey to tense his shoulders again. Marvin buried his hands deep into his pockets, and Grace pulled her scarf tighter around her shoulders.

                “Grace!” A sweet voice called from behind the group.

                Grace turned to see a sleek red head walking towards them. She had a black jacket pulled close to her tight waist. Her pale skin shone in the soft morning light, and her green eyes shone in excitement.

                “Good morning Marilyn.” Grace smiled. “I’m glad you came.”

                “How could I miss it? You’ve been talking about your brother coming for months.” Marilyn reached them and hugged Grace. “I bet it’s nice to know family is on their way.”

                “Just adding to the pack.” Marvin laughed.

                Marilyn seemed stunned, as if she had just noticed that Grace had been standing with other people. “Oh, hello.” She said kindly, holding out her hand. “Who are you?”

                Marvin threw a glance at Grace. “Marvin Becker, and this is my brother, Harvey.”

                Grace eyes Harvey. It wasn’t like him to be so quiet. His eyes were on Marilyn. He looked struck.

                “Becker? As in Grace?” Marilyn turned to her friend.

                Grace nodded. “These are two of my other brothers.”