December 7, 1941; 8:09 am

Harvey and Marilyn raced side by side; him heading for the gun range; her heading for hospital. Their hands were tightly woven together. Tears built in Marilyn's eyes from fear, and she knew that Harvey was scared, even if he didn't show it.

They reached the gun range, but when Marilyn stopped, Harvey didn't.

"What are you doing?" She stared at him.

"I'm making sure you get to the hospital safely." He said impatiently.

She shook her head, "You're needed there. I'm a big girl, I can get there on my own."

He hurried back to her, "We're wasting time." He pulled her arm, and she gave into him.

They raced forward. Marilyn's eyes were wide as she stared around them. Fire rose from trees, and wounded bodies limped towards the hospital. Harvey reached the bottom of the steps, and turned back on her. Without a word he pulled her face into his. She lost herself in the warmth of him.

"Stay here," he instructed, "And don't put yourself in danger. I love you."

She stared up at him, "I love you, too. Stay safe."

He nodded and began to race away. "Harvey!" She shouted, her voice cracking. He spun to face her immediately. She took a breath and raced to him, "I'm-." She stopped herself, "Please be safe." He kissed her, and ran quickly off into the smoke.

Behind him, the sound of an explosion made his ears ring. He spun on his heel, his eyes wide. A wave of heat hit him, knocking him from his feet. He couldn't see through the smoke, and he couldn't hear.

"Marilyn!" He called blindly. He scrambled to his feet, and stumbled into the smoke, "Marilyn!" He heard nothing but the ringing. He spun, trying to see. He ran forward, his senses clogged. "Marilyn!"

Marilyn couldn't hear Harvey's desperate pleas. A numbness had overflown her body. Her fingers idly twitched, and her eyes watched the sky. She didn't notice the smoke begin to clear. She didn't feel Harvey lift her into is arms. She didn't feel his warm tears hit her porcelain skin.

"Henry?" She whispered, staring up. Harvey saw her mouth twitch, but couldn't hear past the ringing in his ears.

Marilyn's brother nodded down to her. "You can hear me?" She choked, a weak smile on her face. He nodded again. He reached his hand out to her. She took her eyes off of Henry, and turned her head to Harvey.

"There's nothing he can do." Henry said, simply. "You're safe." He looked at her stomach, "And he is safe, too."

Marilyn turned back to her brother, "He?"

Henry nodded. Marilyn closed her eyes, "I love you, Harvey." And she followed her brother.

"Oh God!" Harvey cried, "Please, come back to me!" His tears streamed down his face. "I'm so sorry, I'm so, so sorry! Marilyn!" His chin was raised to the sky as he wailed. Through his tears, he saw the large red circle on the fighter planes.

"Harvey?"

He jumped and looked up to see Grace. Her eyes were wide. She tentatively walked towards him, and pried him away from the corpse. "I'm glad to see you're alright." Grace choked, trying not to look at her dead friend. Harvey choked on a sob and dropped his head onto his sister's shoulder. "Do you know where Marvin and Wesley are?" She whispered.

He shook, "No. I've been with Marilyn."

She pushed him away. "You need to go to your position. We couldn't save her, but we'll save others." The determination in her eyes convinced Harvey. "Be safe." She pushed him away, lifted Marilyn's body, and walked back to the hospital.

Harvey watched her go, tears still in his eyes. He wouldn't often admit that there were others being braver than he, but he could not deny that his sister had the heart of a lion. She watched death, but still saw that there was life to salvage. He shook his head, and raced away to the gun range. Bombs still dropped around the base. Harvey was numb. He didn't flinch at the explosions.

He reached the gun range, and saw Leroy laying blue and cold in front of the gate. Harvey stepped over him.

"Lieutenant!" A third class gun man stared at him. "What do we do?"

"Unveil the big boys, we're taking these Japs down." Harvey directed heartlessly. The man nodded. Harvey followed him. The big boys were large brown machine guns. Harvey shoved the ammunition into his gun, all fear gone, and aimed it towards the sky. "This is for Marilyn." He sneered to himself. He opened fire, and shot a fighter jet in the engine. The jet crashed to the grounds beyond the gun range. His anger was affecting his aim. He hit targets with the precision of a general gun man. His face was red, and his tears had stopped. "Goddamn Japs!" He announced. He didn't stop firing until he had used every last shell. The gun men around him stared at the sky. The jets were out of sight. Harvey let his head rest on the hot gun. He let his mind wander, and he prayed that his brothers were safe.