June 10, 1941

"You want to go to the bar tonight?"

Eugene looked confused, "Yeah, why not?"

Marilyn stared at Eugene in disbelief, "It's a Tuesday."

"You don't drink on Tuesdays?"

"Not publicly."

Eugene stared at her. "Are you alright?"

Marilyn didn't look him in the eye. "No."

"Well, tell me what's going on."

Grace took a deep breath, and looked around the room, trying to find anything to look at, to keep her gaze away from his. "Do you remember Lieutenant Harvey Becker? You met him a while ago."

"Vaguely."

"Well, I talked to him, and he's going through a difficult time right now, and all I can think about is how to help him. I want to be there for him. Maybe it's because his sister is my best friend, or maybe it's because I love helping people. I just want to talk to him, and find out how to help him."

Eugene stared at her, agitation filling his eyes, "How many times have you talked to him?"

Marilyn shook her head, embarrassed, "Three times."

Anger filled Eugene's eyes, "Three times? That's all? We've spent so much time together, but you're thinking of him?"

"Oh, please don't take it like that. I'm just concerned, that's all."

"If he asked you to get drinks tonight, would you go with him?"

Marilyn's eyes were wide, but she didn't answer right away.

He nodded. "That's all I need to know." He turned without another word, and walked away from Marilyn. She looked around the outside of the hospital with wide eyes, unsure of what she should do.

Her eyes hardened, and she walked straight towards the bunkers. Her heels echoed loudly around the quiet night. She drummed down the hallway to the room that read BECKER. She knocked gently, and almost immediately the door opened.

"Marilyn? What are you doing here?"

"Let's go get a drink, Grace."

Silently, the women walked to the bar. Grace would occasionally glance at Marilyn to check if she was alright. If she wasn't, Marilyn didn't give anything away. Her eyes were hard, and her face was cold. Marilyn lead the way into the bar, ordered two drinks, and sat at a booth before Grace had the nerve to speak.

"Are you alright?"

Marilyn stared at her hands, "I spoke to Harvey today."

"About?"

"Well, originally it was supposed to be about you. I was concerned about your well-being, and he apparently listened to that because you weren't at the hospital anymore. Then he asked why I never came around to talk to him."

Grace stared wide eyed, "What did you tell him?"

"I told him that I was with Eugene."

"Was?"

Marilyn smiled at the waitress when she delivered their drinks, and slowly sipped the Hurricane, avoiding Grace's gaze.