September 27, 1941

Marvin sat nervously in the office. His fingers fidgeted together as he stared at the commander in front of him. Marvin watched the pages of his request sloppily be turned by large fingers. Sweat beaded on his forehead.

"You wish to be reassigned in New Jersey?" The commander said, a slight grin on his face, "Why?"

Marvin smiled, "Family is there."

The commander shook his head, "Says here you were born in Missouri. How'd you wind up with family in New Jersey?"

"In laws."

"Doesn't say that you're married."

"Yet."

The commander looked up and stared at Marvin with narrowed eyes. "Did one of the nurses here catch your fancy?"

Marvin tried his best to keep a smile from spreading onto his face, "Yes sir."

The commander nodded, "And you want to ask her father for permission to marry her?"

Marvin shook his head, "No, sir. I want to marry her there."

He sighed, "Well, son, I'm sorry. I cannot grant this reassignment. You have a duty here, and you cannot run away from it for some dame."

Marvin's eyes widened, "She's not just some dame, sir. This reassignment is also because I don't do very well in heat, you see, and I can't perform well with heat fever."

The commander sat back, "You've been in Pearl Harbor for five years, and although I'm not in the right mind to compliment you, your work is always satisfactory. This request has been declined; that's the last I'd like to hear of this."

Marvin nodded, his eyes blank. He stood and left, leaving the folder behind. He pushed open the door, and held his chin high. He walked quickly, sure to not make eye contact with anyone.

He pushed open the door to the exit, and walked to where Sandra was waiting for him.

She jumped up at the sight of him, dropping her magazine on the bench beside her, "How did it go?"

He faked a smile, "Well."

A wide smile spread across her face, "When do we leave?"

He swallowed, "Early January."

"Oh Marvin!" She threw her arms around his neck. "I just can't wait to be going home! You'll finally meet my folks! My mother will like you, I'm sure. She always wanted me to marry a soldier; not to mention a higher class gunman. My father will take some accustoming to, but I'm sure he'll like you when he gets to know you. After all, he was a soldier, too. It'll give you both something to talk about. Oh! We can get married on the beach, just when the sea foam is beginning to form, so it'll look like snow, but it'll be warm. Our colors can be peach and beige, oh that would be so beautiful."

Marvin smiled, truly, "So, you're agreeing to marry me?"

She blushed, "Oh, Marv, I've been dreaming about my wedding since I was a little girl, these plans weren't made specifically for you." She leaned forward and kissed him, "But it sure would be nice to see you there."

He didn't make eye contact with her. "Anything to make you happy."

Her eyes twinkled, "I have to tell Linda."

"Kramer?"

"Yes, who else?"

"I'm not sure, I just didn't think you were very good friends with her."

She laughed, "I'm better friends with her than any of the other nurses." Her eyes met his, and she realized her mistake, "Don't get me wrong, Marvin, Grace it a great girl, but she's too headstrong. Linda knows what it takes to be a proper woman, a proper nurse. Grace is too caught up with the idea of being equal, she forgets about being right."

Marvin smiled, agreeing. "Alright, go tell Linda."

Sandra kissed him and quickly walked away, a slight skip in her step.

Marvin sighed and walked back towards the gun range. He would tell Harvey the truth.

On his walk back, he let his mind wander. He pictured the beaches of New Jersey, with the foam fizzing on the surface of the coast. He pictured all of Sandra's family gathered around, smiling wide for Sandra's accomplishment. He pictured his own family there; his mother at a seat by the bar, with a cool glass in her hand, and, though unknowingly, with a smile on her face. He saw his brothers in groomsman tuxedos. Lawrence would be his best man, of course. He saw Grace, alone, as usual, sitting in the audience. The only member to sit on his side of the family. She may have been alone, but she sat for the family as a whole. He pictured Sandra in her gown; a gown as white as the sea foam. Her saw her smile and blush as he walked towards her. He saw her eyes flicker in excitement, and he felt the rush of beginning his new life with her. He sighed, knowing that until the war was over it was only fantasy.

"Marvin?" Harvey spotted his brother walking slowly, "How did the hearing go?"

Marvin shook his head, "They denied the request. I'm stuck here."

Harvey pat him on the back, "I'm sorry to hear that. Next time."

Marvin pulled away, "The commander said that he didn't want to hear any more of it."

Harvey stared at the pavement, "How did Sandra take it?"

Marvin chuckled, mostly out of shame, "I couldn't tell her. I told her we're leaving in early January. I couldn't stand to see her upset."

Harvey eyes his brother, "You really do love her, don't you?"

Marvin's eyes hardened, "Of course. I wouldn't waste my time if I didn't."

Harvey nodded, a slight smile on his face, "Well, if it's any consolation, I'm happy that you're staying. We've been here for too long together, you make this place home."

Marvin stared at Harvey, A war base isn't a home, Harvey. It's time we started finding a new home."

Harvey smiled and looked around him, "I don't know about that. I like it here. I'm happy here."

"I'm not."

"But you have Sandra, here. The thing about home, Marv, is that it isn't a place. It's a person. For you, it's Sandra."

"And for you it's Marilyn?"

Harvey's eyes lit up, "Yes it is."

Marvin nodded, feeling lighter in his chest, "Thank you, Harvey."

"You know you'll have to tell Sandra come January."

"Then I'll let her be happy until January."