December 7, 1941; 8:13 am

Wesley raced into the hospital. "Where is Nurse Becker?" He demanded. No one responded to him.

He listened to the shouts around him, "There's no more iodine!" "We're out of beds!" "Clear off the tables!" "Make sure patients are secure!"

He looked around him desperately. "Grace!" He shouted at his sister as she forced herself to other patients.

"Wes!" She shouted, relieved. She raced to him and wrapped her arms around him. "I'm so glad you're alright."

"And you." Wesley said, still looking around.

"Wait, where's Elizabeth?" Grace stared at him.

His face fell, "I thought she was here."

Grace shook her head, "She went to find you."

His eyes widened, and he turned to leave. Grace grabbed his wrist. "You can't leave." She pleaded, "You're safe here. Don't leave."

He looked her in the eyes. His brown eyes matched hers; the only two of the eight children who looked like their father. He shook his head, "I have to go. I found her, Grace. She's the one worth leaving for."

Tears welled in Grace's eyes, "You're my best friend, Wes." He pulled her in.

"And you're mine. I'll be right back, and I'll have Elizabeth with me. Here," he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small folded object, "For luck."

Grace nodded, wiping a tear from her cheek. She watched her baby brother run out the door, and disappear into the smoke. Wesley raced quickly, heading for the shipyard. He coughed harshly, the smoke invading his lungs. With every explosion and every scream, he would flinch, praying that none of his loved ones were lost forever.

The shipyard was chaos. The SS Oklahoma was tipped nearly upside down. Fire rose in masses from it.

"Elizabeth!" He cried. He raced onto the SS Arizona, knowing that's where she would be searching for him. "Elizabeth! Please!"

The boat shook when a torpedo struck the bottom. Everyone aboard screamed, and several sailors jumped over the railing into the warm water. The heat from fire around him made Wesley light headed. "Elizabeth!" The ship rocked again.

"Cherry!"

Wesley turned quickly to see Billie Joe running towards him, "What are you still doing aboard?"

"It's my job to make sure my sailors are safe, get off this ship, now!" Billie Joe forced him towards the ramp.

"I have to find Elizabeth!" Wesley shouted.

"I sent her back to the hospital," Billie Joe said, his eyes wide, "I told her you'd likely check there for her."

Tears built in Wesley's eyes, "I did look there."

"Then she probably took cover somewhere safe. Now go!" Billie Joe pushed him. Wesley nodded and raced away down the ramp. "Cherry!" Billie Joe called after him.

"Yeah, Duke?"

"Tell Grace I love her!"

Wesley didn't listen to Billie Joe. He watched a bomb drop right behind him. Wesley had spent years learning every part of a ship, and where the most lethal places to be hit are. The bomb was headed straight for the forward magazine. "Duke! Jump!"

Billie Joe's eyes widened, and he trusted his friend. He leapt over the railing- but his attempt was in vain. The bomb hit the forward magazine, and the SS Arizona burst into flames, exploding into the air. Billie Joe felt the fire eat at his skin while he was air born, and the tropical water came too late to save him. His skin stung, and his muscles were weak. Billie Joe sank to the bottom of the marina, unable to do anything but watch the tempting flames flick above the surface of the water. His plain brown eyes stared into nothing. Before him appeared his long lost brother. "Cherry." Billie Joe gurgled. He took his brother's hand willingly, hoping that the pain would cease, and hoping that he didn't see Grace on the other side.

Dear Uncle Thaddeus

I regret to tell you that this letter is not one of good news. My training for the NAVY took years, and if I do not return, I shall rest with no regret. I know that I will not be sad to find death. My family died long ago, and ships are the only true love I have left. I hope I went thinking of those days by the Mississippi. If dying in action is my destiny, then I only hope I go down with my ship. I am truly sorry our relationship was no more than tenant and super. I do hope you find warmth in life. I'll say hello to everyone for you.

Billie Joe Dukes.

Wesley hadn't hesitated. He jumped into the water after his friend. He swam as quickly as he could. Billie Joe's skin was charred. Wesley diving into the water saved his own. Wesley grabbed onto his friend, and struggled towards the surface. The weight of Billie Joe tugged Wesley down, but he refused to leave any man behind. What he hadn't planned on what the SS Arizona being tugged down as well. Slowly the sunlight above Wesley faded as the ship lowered closer to him. He struggled, but knew that even if he left Billie Joe behind, he wouldn't make it to the surface before the ship sucked him back down. He stopped struggling. He held Billie Joe's limp body close to his, and felt himself begin to sink. His vision went blurry, and his lungs screamed for air, but he knew there was nothing that could satisfy them. He thought of his family. He thought of every fight, every tear, and every mistake. He thought of the restless nights with Grace, when she would pour her heart out to him, and he would return the favor. He thought of his only sister, afraid and alone at the hospital, awaiting his return. He wished he could apologize to her. He wish he could hug her one more time. He closed his eyes, and he felt his body begin to go numb. He opened his eyes. Elizabeth was before him, with her hand outstretched. Without hesitation, he took her hand and followed her into the dark.

Dear Mama,

I guess this letter only means that Daddy was right, and that I couldn't make it as a soldier. I only ask this favor because I know there will be no repercussions; write. I know you can't sing any more, and I wish you hadn't lost that capability- I'll never forget the lullabies you used to sing to help Kenneth sleep when the pain was too great-, but write. Whether it's a letter, a song, or a suicide note- which Daddy never had the good grace to leave- please, write. I'll miss you, dearly, and I do hope you return the favor.

Wesley Paulson Becker.

For two hours the terror over Pearl Harbor continued. Harvey shot enraged bullets into the air. Grace worked diligently, yet was unable to stop praying that all three of her brothers managed to come through for her. She kept her mind on the door to the hospital, hoping that her brothers would reveal them to her, and prove that they survived. She prayed, but her prayers went unheard.