August 25, 1941

Wesley and Elizabeth lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

"I went to church yesterday." Wesley whispered.

"I know, you're very proud of going." Elizabeth laughed, "You won't stop talking about how moving the sermons are."

Wesley nodded, "I tried to do a confession."

She turned to look up at him, "Tried?"

He nodded, "I sat in the box, and I asked him to forgive me, but when it came time to tell him what I needed to be forgiven for, I couldn't do it."

"Sometimes it's hard to admit faults."

He shook his head, "I couldn't think of any." He took a deep breath, "Fourteen years, and I can't think of what I need to be forgiven for." He sat up, troubled, "I know I've sinned. Fourteen years is too long not to have any flaws; I just couldn't think of them."

"Maybe it will come to you next week." She sat up beside him.

"But what if I die this week, and my sins weren't forgiven? What if I go to hell because I couldn't remember anything I did wrong?"

Elizabeth smiled up at him, "Maybe you haven't done anything wrong."

He shook his head, his eyes narrowed, "That's impossible. I know I've done things- wrong things- but I've buried them so deep inside of me that I can't even remember what they are."

"Perhaps it's for the best," She said, resting her head on his shoulder, "Perhaps if you've forgotten, the lord has, too."

Wesley sighed, "The lord doesn't forget. He isn't negligent like the human race."

Elizabeth shook her head, "Then he'll know what to forgive you for, even if you don't."

Wesley didn't respond. He gently kissed her forehead, happy to have someone so calm and understanding to talk to.

"Why did you stop going to church?" She whispered.

He felt himself tense, "My father took my faith with him to the grave."

Elizabeth nodded, "I'm glad you found it again. Not that you were a bad man, but it's nice to see you with motive."

He looked down at her. Her eyes were closed, and a slight smile was on her face. "My motive is you."

She chuckled, but didn't open her eyes, "That's not a very good motive at all."

He gently used his hand to lead her chin, forcing her to face him, "It's the perfect motive." He leaned down to kiss her, and she smiled against him. He pulled away and stared into her clear blue eyes, "Elizabeth Ann Foster, I love you."

"Wesley Paulson Becker," she chuckled, mimicking him, "I love you, too."