Chapter 13

Avery stood over Chase, watching as he filled out the remaining paperwork for his release, this time in a chair free of handcuffs.  He occasionally glanced at her, not bothering to hide his annoyance.  Whether it was at her or at the situation, she could not tell.  But it created a sense of doubt as to whether or not this was the right decision.  If he were to make her life miserable, would she be able to continue? 

Nathan's solution was the last thing she expected, but it was one of the few things to which she would have agreed.  Her involvement gave her ample opportunity to observe and monitor Lafaye's actions, not only regarding Chase, but all other indigena he sought to subvert.

She began to realize that the Regulus and his ongoing hunger for control had become increasingly more of a priority for her.  Her willingness to dedicate time toward this endeavor no longer felt like a sacrifice.  Right versus wrong was now her primary motivation, and she would no longer stand by while her people made decisions in violation of their core beliefs.  She knew that her duties at the lab may suffer, but botanical research could wait.  Protecting the indigena and keeping a watchful eye on Caelan behavior was all that mattered now. 

When Dr. Chandrian presented Chase with Nathan's plan, he had no choice but to agree.  However, Avery thought he would have been happier about the arrangement.  After all, he was free now.  All charges dropped in exchange for thirty days probation with tight supervision.  But his expression remained sour. 

He had spent well over an hour with the doctor, protesting the plan.  But in the end she was able to convince him.  Her connection with him seemed to be strong; not only did he respect her and listen to her, but the struggle with the guilt of his crime made him malleable.

"Should I call you my shadow or my chaperone?" Chase asked. 

His question interrupted her thoughts, and his sarcasm caught her off guard.

"Just call me your case manager," she answered.

He grunted.

She thought of explaining further, but he wouldn't understand.  How could he?  He had no idea that she was the one thing possibly keeping him alive.  As long as she reported his actions and whereabouts back to Nathan, Lafaye agreed to let the matter of Chase Madison drop.  Close observation was nearly as good as control, so he said.

"So, how did you get the short straw?" Chase asked as he slammed down the pen and casually nudged the clipboard across the desk.

"Excuse me?"

He looked at her, "The short straw?  I'm sure that you didn't volunteer for this job, and my guess is that nobody else wanted it.  Hell, I wouldn't want it."

His propensity to speak in euphemisms confused Avery, and it became clear to her that she would have to adjust to it if they were to spend more time together.

"Like I said," she explained.  "I am your case manager.  It's my job—what I get paid for.  Don't worry about me."

He shook his head and rose to his feet, "Well, the only reason I agreed to any of this was because of Dr. Chandrian.  Personally, I'd rather put my face in a blender than have you shadowing me everywhere I go, but she asked me to do this, so I will."

"You won't even know that I am here," Avery promised.

The administrator handed Chase a clear plastic bag with this personal affects.  Without bothering to open it, he simply took the bag and said, "Let's go."

Avery followed him out of the building and into the parking lot.  He headed toward a waiting taxi, every so often glancing back at Avery. 

"You don't have to walk behind me," he said.