Chapter 15

"Lapsus!" Lafaye shouted.  "More Lapsus! I cannot afford any more of your mistakes!"

Volk looked sheepish, saying nothing.  But his silence annoyed Lafaye even more than if he had defended himself.

"I told you to destroy the microarrays, not the whole laboratory!"

"My apologies, Regulus," Volk said softly, l lowering his head.  "I sought only to please you."

"And yet, you are continually apologizing to me," Lafaye scowled.  "Triggering does not mean destroying all of our equipment, you idiot.  We need that lab for our research!"

"Yes, Regulus."

Volk was loyal, but sometimes he was as ignorant as the indigena. 

Lafaye sighed and fell into the chair behind his desk.  He glanced at the time and noticed the late hour. 

Where had the day gone?

Patience.  He will be here soon, my love, Claudia said.

At the sound of her voice, Lafaye's features softened.  He looked at the aviary, desperately, hoping for more than just a simple phrase.  When none came, he rose to his feet and approached, cautiously.  He stepped slowly, trying his best not to make any sudden noise to spook the birds.

"My love?" he asked.

There was no response.  She must have been referring to Gavin.  With all of the chaos, Lafaye had lost track of the time, Gavin would be here soon.

"Thank you my love," he whispered into the cage.

He turned back and saw Volk staring at him.  His expression was one of confusion and fear.

Lafaye snarled at him, "Get out!"

"Yes, Regulus," he said, jumping to his feet.

"Volk," Lafaye barked, intercepting him, "find Nathan.  Send him here—I don't care where he is.  I would like him to witness what happens when Gavin arrives."

"Yes, Regulus," he said.  "I will find him."

When he left, Lafaye found his tablet and keyed a message to Landcaster, asking for status.  As he typed, he glanced at the aviary and said, "Events are accelerating, Claudia.  I promise you that they will pay for what they have done."

The last time he had seen Gavin was down by the river, after the car crash.  Lafaye nodded absently at the memory, recalling how thoroughly he had psyed the man, but Gavin's support would not be guaranteed unless he was properly motivated.  He must be made to believe that the indigena were responsible for the damage to his lab.

Landcaster's response came back.

In local bar.  I have eyes on the two of them.  It would be very easy to take them out.

"Fool," Lafaye whispered. 

He had hand-picked Landcaster because he was motivated—perhaps too motivated.  He was discreet and well skilled, also versed in the ways of the indigena.  But killing them both was not part of the plan.

Before Lafaye could respond, another message came through.

Seedy place, high criminal element.  Probably wouldn't even be a strange occurrence here.  Easy to psy the crowd, if necessary.

Lafaye responded, Do nothing except watch them.  No action, understood?

After a short pause, Landcaster's reply came, Yes, Regulus.