Chapter 29

As they walked out of the restaurant, Avery watched as Chase politely offer Nathan thanks for the meal.  As he did so, Cadence said in a lowered voice, "He is very interesting."

Avery nodded in agreement.

"But I don't think you're handling him properly," she added.  "You are being too soft.  These indigena are thick headed.  Especially somebody like him.  He is used to being reckless, careless, and not thinking things through.  You should be a little more controlling."

Avery shook her head, disappointed at Cadence's predictability.  They had nearly gotten through the entire evening without her sister looking down on her.

"Cadence, I am doing the best I can."

"I'm sure you are dear, I am only trying to help."

"Did you hear his story?" Avery asked.  "This man cannot catch a break anywhere.  He was only trying to help that poor girl, and look what happened."

"Perhaps you could teach him to use his mind instead of his muscles?  Fighting isn't the only way to solve problems, you know."

"And I suppose he should have negotiated with the bullets that shot up my house this morning, instead of saving my life?"

"There's no need to be snippy, Avery," Cadence said, turning her attention to the two men.

Nathan waved Chase off and said, "I should be thanking you.  I don't get to see my fiancée as much as I would like.  We're both very busy, so I appreciate you sharing her tonight.  And thank you for your quick thinking today during that hostile situation—quite dangerous, that.  There is nothing more important to me than Avery's safety."

Chase nodded, and said, "Congratulations on your engagement.  You two make a great couple."

Nathan blinked, and smiled warmly, shaking Chase's hand.  He looked as if he truly appreciated the compliment. 

"Thank you," he said.  "I hope you'll be attending our engagement party this Saturday at The Fugue?"

Chase hesitated uncertainly, and said, "Ah, The Fugue.  That's the convention center near the airport, isn't it?"

"No," Nathan corrected.  "It's a four star restaurant.  And it's downtown."

"Right, that's what I meant," Chase said.  "Sure, I'll be there."

"Great," Nathan said, missing Chase's sarcasm.  "I've reserved the private ballroom and lake view terrace for the entire afternoon and evening.  It will be quite the party, to be sure."

"I'm sure it will," Chase said.

"And now, if you'll give us a moment alone, please?" Nathan asked.

"Of course."

Nathan pulled Avery aside, taking some privacy from Chase and Cadence.  He took both of her hands into his and looked lovingly into her eyes.  His blue eyes twinkled, though his expression turned serious.

"Are you still set on this course, amica mea?" he asked.

She nodded.

"In spite of the danger?"

"Yes," she said.  "I am.  Nobody knows we are staying at the Amocular, Nathan.  I think we'll be fine there."

"I spoke with Regulus Lafaye, earlier," he said.  "I wanted you removed from this situation—due to the shooting at your house.  But after speaking with him I am convinced that what you are doing is right."

Avery raised an eyebrow, wondering how Nathan became convinced.  Had he picked up on some sort of mischief or foul play?

"What did Lafaye tell you?" she asked.

"He has involved me in work which is controversial, but incredibly important.  More important than anything else we've ever done here, lorem ipsum dolor."

She frowned in confusion, not seeing the connection.

He lowered his voice a bit and said, "I didn't tell you this before, but my invitation tonight was deliberate.  I wanted to meet him, to measure him, to see if I could trust him.  You two are spending so much time together—"

"And, do you?" she asked.  "Trust him?"

"Yes but also no," Nathan said.  "I trust that he would never harm you.  He may even risk his own life for your protection.  But he's much more clever than I thought.  Even under your close supervision he's learned things and put pieces together."

"What is your point, Nathan?"

"You have to do a better job keeping him out of our affairs.  Under no circumstances tell him anything about McClouth, Lafaye, or anything which may compromise us.  He's asking a lot of good questions, and he doesn't always need an answer to get an answer."

Avery swallowed away the sting of his disapproval.  She flipped her hair off of her shoulder and folded her arms, "There's only so much I can do.  And the fact that he is smart is not my fault."

"I know," he said.  He tenderly touched the side of her face and said, "I'm sorry if I sound critical, amica mea.  I appreciate what you're doing, and I do know how difficult this is.  Do you remember how he behaved when you first questioned him?  There is something different about him tonight.  It's almost as if you've tamed him.  Quite remarkable, considering his villainous history—not to mention his psy resistance.  You're doing an extraordinary job."

Avery tried smiling at the compliment, but it didn't take.  Nathan's approval had always meant a lot to her, especially since protecting indigena was not something they had always agreed upon.  But it seemed as if his approval was outweighed by his criticism.

"Thank you," she said.  "But I still don't understand how talking with Lafaye changed your mind.  Did you sense that he may try to harm Chase?"

"Oh, that" Nathan said.  "No.  He merely convinced me how important our work is, and how important it is to keep Chase away, even if it means risking our lives."

Avery blinked rapidly in surprise, thinking that she misheard him. 

"Risking our lives?" she asked evenly.  "Do you mean risking my life?"

He hesitated, thinking back to his original point, and then responded, "Well, yes, if you want to put it that way."

"Your work with Lafaye is more important than my life?"

"No, that's not what I said," he retorted.  He tried to think of another way to say it but was unable to.  His lips pursed, as if he regretted saying anything.

She pulled away from him, unable to see a benign interpretation.  In the beginning, Avery believed that watching Chase was the proper course because it protected him—perhaps saving his life.  To her it was the moral thing to do.  But it seemed Nathan's priority had become keeping Chase away from his work, even at the risk of her safety. 

There was only one explanation she would accept, though it would sicken her. 

"Did you meet with him face to face?" she asked.

"Pardon me?"

"Is there any possibility that Lafaye psyed you?" she asked pointedly.  "Did you talk on the phone or face to face?"

"It was on the phone."

Avery shook her head in disappointment and walked away from him.

"Avery, wait!" Nathan called out.

She felt him pull her arm and slide in front of her, blocking her path.

"I'm sorry," he pleaded emphatically.  "You know what I meant.  I would die if something happened to you!  You know, that, don't you?  Da mihi morieris!  Te amo!  Quae nihil aliud est!"

Nathan's voice was so loud that Avery forgot all about their discussion.  Her expression changed from hurt to worry as she slowly turned her gaze to where Chase and Cadence stood, twenty feet away. 

The look on Cadence's face said it all.  Her expression of shock was more telling than Chase's expression of curiosity.  They overheard the shouting.

Chase had heard the native language of Caelus.