Chapter 28

"Are you sure you're alright?"

It seemed like the hundredth time Chase asked that question.  Avery had been preoccupied ever since leaving Sarah's house, turning the events over in her mind in some attempt to justify what she had done.

They had checked in to the Amocular, dropping off their things and quickly changing clothes for dinner.  The suite had two bedrooms adjoined by a common area, ensuring their close proximity while allowing a semblance of privacy.  Once settled, they got back on the road again, trying to make it to Arianna St. Tropez in time to meet Nathan.

"I'm fine," she said, managing a weak smile.

Avery was aware that her guilt directly affected her mood, but she could not shake the feeling that what she did was wrong.

"Being shot at brings people closer together," he said with a smile.  "Whatever it is, you can tell me."

Of course, she could never tell him.  Her identity would always remain secret.  The ability to psy someone was something he could never understand.  But what troubled Avery was that she psyed for personal gain.  Oh, she did it for Chase, but indirectly she did it for herself.  Abuse of psy was strictly frowned upon.  She herself had often looked down on others for such action, taking pride in never using it except as a last resort. 

When asked to elevate her position at work, she was given full authority to psy, yet she had not.  Today though, something had changed.  She felt anger—anger that she was unable to properly diffuse.  Only after she psyed Sarah did the anger go away—quickly replaced by guilt.

"Does this have to do with Sarah?" he asked.  Not waiting for an answer, he added, "I'll admit that it's weird.  She agreed to stop asking me for money, which in itself would have been enough, but she was polite and even somewhat pleasant.   I guess she really loves her internet."

Avery sighed, continuing to do her best not let her guilt show.  She glanced at Chase as she drove, noticing how he happily tapped his knee to some imaginary beat.  His good mood was the only thing which made her feel better.  The man had enough problems without adding a hostile ex-wife to the mix.  Perhaps this one difference would give him the boost he needed to get his life back in order.

"Sometimes doing a good deed has rewards you cannot imagine," she said.

"So you've said before," Chase replied.  "Maybe all of the sunshine you're spreading everywhere is rubbing off on me."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No," he said.  "But if I start freeing trapped animals then you'd better lock me up."

She smiled at the joke, and pulled into the parking lot.  As she found a spot and turned off the car, Chase stopped her.  There was genuine concern on his face.  Undoubtedly, his obsession over her wellbeing was due to his own happiness.  That thought gave her peace, allowing her to sincerely reassure him.

"I'm fine," she said.  "And thank you for coming tonight."

He grunted, "It's not like I had a choice."

"Yes, you did," she smiled.  "I think we both know you always have a choice."

As they walked into the restaurant, Avery had to slow due to Chase's bad leg.  He tried to hide his limp as best he could but was clearly in a lot of pain.

Once inside, they spotted Nathan and Cadence sitting across from each other at a table for four.  The restaurant was very elegant.  The staff was well dressed, and the tables were adorned with pressed white tablecloths and small candles ensconced in red faceted glass.