Chapter 34

Ponoco Ridge Township was a community on the southeast side of the Chicago, buffered by a large abandoned rail yard on one side and a once thriving industrial park on the other.  Tan brick tower block housing structures were scattered throughout the neighborhood, some taller than others, but none built were younger than Chase.

Most of the town's economy was fed by the nearby college, but there was little else in the way of business.  And despite being a mere thirty minute drive from the heart of downtown Chicago, the economic disparity was disturbing.

As they drove through the main artery of town, they noticed that the people walking about did not seem in any particular hurry, merely congregating in front of closed stores or on street corners.

Chase pulled up to a red light next to a corner carwash and boarded up convenience shop.  The boards were decorated with artful graffiti, some of it showing vile depictions of death. 

Glancing at Avery, Chase said, "I want you to promise me that you'll never come back to this neighborhood without me.  I don’t know why you would, but I want your promise."

She nodded and said, "Okay." 

"I used to live here—years ago," he said wistfully.  "Doesn't look like it's improved much."

Avery's eyes darted back and forth, scanning her surroundings and taking in the sights, "Are Chambers' offices near here?"

"He doesn't have an office, per se.  But yes, we're close."

He turned onto a side street, passing by a gas station and then a pawn shop, and there it was.  The auto body repair. 

Chase turned on both headlights and hazards, hoping that the safe signal was still in use, and pulled into the garage.  The large door was open, so he pulled the car all the way in. 

Two men stood near a stripped down pickup truck, carefully watching Chase enter.  They seemed attentive, though relaxed. 

He parked the car and looked at Avery.  "Wait here," he said, wishing he had thought to pick up a hoodie for her.  She stood out like a blinking light.

"Okay."

He opened the door and stepped out confidently, hiding his limp as best he could.

"What's this, yo?" one of them asked.  He had a spider web tattoo on his neck.  "You lost or something?"

"I need to see him," Chase said, looking around.  "Is he here?"

"Is who here?"

"Chambers, you idiot.  Is he here or not?"

The two men looked at each other, and then approached him.  Spider Web chuckled and said, "You got balls, man."

He reached into his back pocket and took out a small handgun.  He didn't aim it; he simply held it casually at his side.

Chase heard the car door open behind him.  He didn't need to look to know that Avery had panicked at the sight of the gun, deciding to not stay in the car.  He shook his head and kept his eyes on the gun.

"Woah woah woah," Spider Web said, reflexively pointing the gun in Avery's direction.  "What have we here?"

Chase stepped in front of the gun, blocking his view of her.  He hoped she would get back in the car, but to his surprise he heard the sound of her heels clicking the garage floor, continuing to approach.

"Damn!" the other one said, leering at Avery.

She walked up to Chase's side and then hooked her arm protectively in his.