Chapter 20

He followed Avery to her car, spotting her champagne colored Acura RL in the visitor's parking lot.  She walked purposefully and elegantly, not showing any signs of agitation.

"Did you drive here?" she asked, not looking back at him.

"No," Chase said.  "I took a cab.  I still haven’t gotten my car back."

She didn't respond as she unhooked her purse from her arm and dug around for her keys.

Trying to lighten the mood, he said, "I thought about bringing my bike, but it's still in my garage for the winter.  Now that the weather's getting nice, maybe I'll get it out of storage.  What do you think?"

"What do I think about what?"

"Riding a motorcycle," he said.  "Maybe we could go for a ride sometime?"

She unlocked her car with a loud double-beep, and brushed her back from her shoulder before looking at him, "I don't ride motorcycles."

She opened her door and got in.  Chase sighed and followed suit, feeling guilty for ditching her this morning, and wishing that she would just yell at him already.

He plopped into the soft leather of the passenger seat and closed his door, feeling the silence of the car envelop him.

"I suppose I should thank you," he said, looking over at her.  She had taken out her phone and was typing a message to somebody.  Her hair had fallen forward slightly, hiding some of her face.

"For what?" she asked, continuing to type on her phone. 

"For convincing me to back down in there," he said.  When she didn't respond, he added, "And for not blowing up at me for leaving you this morning."

Her lack of ire from his broken promise was unsettling.  She continued to type on her phone, occasionally flipping her hair away from her eye.

He asked, "Are you giving me back to the police?"

She finished her message and put the phone back into her purse.  When she finally looked at him, her large eyes softened, almost pityingly.  "No," she said.  "I notified my supervisor that you are back under my watchful eye."

"Your supervisor," Chase grunted.  He wondered who that was, exactly.  But his curiosity was overridden by his guilt.  He asked, "How much trouble did you get in?"

"Don't worry about that," she said. 

"Why not?  Was it bad?"

"Don't worry.  You're going to make it up to me."

"I'm—what am I going to do?"

"You're going to make it up to me," she repeated.

"And why am I going to do that?"

"Because—as you said—you owe me," she said.  "For leaving me this morning, and for stopping you from assaulting Tre."

He sighed, knowing that she was right, and said, "You have every right to be mad."

"I'm not mad," she said.

"You should be," he said.  "I think I'd feel better if you just blew up at me."

She shook her head, "I don't understand, Chase.  You have my phone number.  You could have let me know what you were doing.  I could have met you at your office and things would've turned out the exact same way.  Breaking your promise didn't accomplish anything."

"Yeah I know," he agreed.  "Why do you care so much, though?  Why are you so interested in watching where I go and what I do?"

She raised an eyebrow, "This is my job.  And you agreed to it, remember?"

"You're job," he mumbled.  "Right."

"Do you want people to hate you?" she asked, starting the car.  "Because it seems as if you do."

"Leaving early does not mean I want you to hate me."

"I'm not only talking about that," she said, glancing at him.  "Your boss—I think you wanted him to fire you."

Chase didn't respond.  He felt like changing the subject.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

She glanced at him mischievously as she pulled out of the parking lot.  "This is how you're going to make it up to me.  We're going back to your house.  You're going to pack a suitcase."

Chase laughed, "Pack a suitcase?  For what?"

"You're moving out.  You're staying with me now."

"Oh no I'm not!"

"I'm sorry, but it's the only way I can keep an eye on you," she explained evenly.

"Avery, stop the car," Chase said.

"Why?"

"Because I am not packing any suitcase," he answered.  "And you're insane if you think I'm moving out of my house just so you can keep an eye on me."

She continued driving toward Chase's house.  "It is your choice, of course," she said.  "But you've proven that I can't trust you, and I've been given permission to do whatever is necessary to keep you in my sights.  This is what I've decided."

Chase was appalled that she actually thought he would agree to that plan. 

"And if I refuse?"

"Let's hope you don't," she said.  "Because I really don’t want to take you to the police station and tell them you are in violation of your probation."

He exhaled in frustration.  A thousand thoughts ran through his mind at the same time.  He fervently wondered if she were bluffing.

"You have two choices," she said, taking advantage of his pause.  "Back to the police station, which you may not mind at first, but I imagine would make for a long day.  Or pack your things and let me keep my eye on you.   And if it helps your decision, you are invited to a very nice dinner tonight.  Nathan is treating."

"Who is Nathan?"

"My fiancé," she answered.

Chase knew that he owed her, but this was ridiculous.   He would rather go back to jail than pack his things and be her pet.  Dinner with her fiancé did little to sweeten the pot; he imagined the guy was a bore.  But it could be interesting insight into Avery and her connections, perhaps shedding some light on her organization.

"I'll make you a counteroffer," he said.  "There's no way in hell I am packing my things to move in with you just to make it easier for you to shadow me.  However, you can pack your things and sleep on my couch.  You still get to monitor me this way, so you get what you want.  Assuming your fiancé doesn't have any problems with the arrangement."

"That's acceptable," Avery replied immediately.  "Don’t worry about Nathan, I already told you that he is aware of my job and its responsibilities."

Chase was shocked that she went for that deal. 

WowWhoever she works for must really be desperate.