Chapter 14

"Where are we going?" Avery asked.

"Head south," he responded, clicking his phone and checking the time.  "It's too late to go to the office, and I don’t feel like seeing Sarah right now."

Avery made her way to the highway as instructed.

"Go this way for a while," he said.  "Then exit on Plank.  There's a sports bar—I'm going to stop in for a drink.  You can wait in the car."

"If they have food then I'd like to accompany you," she said. 

Chase shook his head, "I don't think that's such a good idea.  This place is pretty seedy, princess.  They do have food, but it's not for you, trust me.  We can stop somewhere on the way back for food."

"Stop calling me that," she said. 

"What?"

"Princess.  My name is Avery."

"Sorry Avery," he said.  Then he added, "You just seem like the type."

"Excuse me?"

He shrugged, "Naïve, innocent, pretty.  Nice car, and that big rock on your finger which is impossible to miss.  You've probably had things handed to you your entire life."

Avery didn't get angry, she never had.  But neither would she stand for being insulted.  She glanced at him confidently and said, "You don’t know anything about me.  If I can't tell you what do, then you can't tell me what to do.  I'm coming in with you."

He looked as though he respected that, saying, "Fair enough."

When they finally arrived, she began to doubt her decision.  The bar was in an industrial area of town where there were not as many people and the streets were poorly lit.  She pulled into a gravel parking lot not far from a neon sign which read "Brody's."  She thought of the irony that only yesterday her dinner came with valet service and a dress code.

"Still want to come in?" Chase asked.

"Yes," she insisted.

Avery stayed close to Chase as he made his way toward the door.  She could hear loud music inside, with occasional group laughter and some foul language.  The aroma of cooking meat fanned past her as they entered, reminding her of why she had wanted come in the first place.

Inside, there were more people than she expected.  It was also very dark, which made it difficult to make out any details.  As her eyes adjusted, Avery noticed a woman with a pierced eyebrow slow dancing with a man by the end of the bar, but the music did not match their pace.  It was as if they didn't care about the music at all.  Other people glanced their way, taking interest in the newcomers.  Several men looked her up and down before turning away, some gazes lingering longer than others.

Chase found a table and waved Avery toward one of the chairs, but he didn't sit down.

The table was not very clean, Avery noticed, and there was a haze of cigarette smoke in the air.  She hesitantly took her chair, hugging her purse in her lap.  She felt her appetite slipping away.

"Paulie!" Chase called to the man behind the bar.

It was hard to make out anyone's features in the low light, but Avery saw a man look back through the haze toward them.

"Chase, you crazy bastard!" someone responded.  His tone seemed friendly, even if his language was not.

"Can we get a couple beers?"  Chase shouted.  "And some sandwiches too."

"You got it."

When Chase sat down, she said, "I don't drink beer."

He smiled at her knowingly, "I figured.  I bet you wish you were back in the car now, don't you?"